Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5600 Display Screen that Won't

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

halo826

halo826

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm new to the forum and appreciate any help.  I have a 6 month old D5600 that I have really only been using for the last few months because of some stupid lens issues I won't bore anyone with.  I am really enjoying my camera finally, got lenses that I am enjoying using, and was taking pictures over this past weekend with NO troubles.  I always store my camera and my lenses with lens caps on, front and back, in a very nice camera bag, securely fastened, inside on a shelf out of harms way, (lesson learned the hard way, RIP old Nikon D3100).  I got my camera out today to take some pictures of the dog outside and when I opened the LED screen to adjust some of the manual settings (practice practice practice), the screen is totally black.  If I touch the screen, I can hear the beeps like its registering my actions.  If I switch to Live View, it will come on and I can see the screen fine.  If I press menu, the screen comes on and I can navigate through all the menu choices and internal settings.  I can see the pictures I have taken in playback.  I just cannot see the screen that shows the info where you can make changes to the photo settings.  I have removed the battery.  I have turned it on and off a dozen times.  I have switched lenses and the problem is the same regardless of the lens.  I am hoping I have inadvertently turned off some display thing and this is an easy fix.  I have 0 dollars left in the camera budget to replace a brand new camera.  I am SICK with worry and have exhausted everything I know to do check.  Does anybody here have any ideas or know what might be going on?  Thanks in advance. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Does the D5600 have a two-button reset? If so, find the two buttons with the green dots next to them and press until the camera reboots.

Have you checked that the eyecup doesn't obstruct the eye sensor above the finder. On earlier D5xxx bodies, this turned off the screen, I am not sure if that is still the case.

If it is something worse, you are still under warranty if the camera is only 6 months old.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Two ideas two check, that can cause the described behaviour:

1/ have you dimmed your screen to the maximum (typically there should still be something to see, but it might be difficult to identify in bright light)?

To check, press the Menu button
Next move to the « tool » menu
Check the value for the brightness of the screen. 0 is the default value, but the value can change from -5 (max dimmed) to +5 (very bright)

2/ have you hidden the indicators?

while in LIFEVIEW mode, you can hide all indicators on the screen.
In order to change press the « info » button, which is located on the rear of the camera
Pressing the button multiple times will make the camera cycle through different modes for showing more or less indicators.

HTH,

Jerry

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I was thinking the same thing as Jerry regarding the screen being dimmed...you should be able to see the menu through the viewfinder...Peter's suggestion of a reset is probably a good one as well...and if necessary, use your warranty!  

halo826

halo826

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Well............after much much much stress and much roundabout, thanks to Nikonian, I think I finally have my camera working again.  I thought it was due to a faulty memory card, so I got a new one because when I took the card out, the screen came on.  When I put it in, it went black.  Put the new card in, same problem.  So I came back here and read the above suggestions.  I started thinking about the eyecup eye sensor comment above.  I do have a silicone camera wrap, and even though it isnt new and the camera has worked fine with it on up to this point, I wondered it it was causing a problem now.  I made a few adjustments to it, and voila.........screen working fine.  Thanks SO much for steering me in the right direction.  I was MAJOR stressing out over my camera!