Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5300 or D7100?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: D5300 or D7100? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Which would you buy? Please post reasons why.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

I love Snapsort, it lets us show that pretty much any Nikon is better than whatever Canon :P

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Well done Alden, good comparison.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Guess I'm the odd man out that would choose the D5300 over the D7100. Articulated screen and the built in wi-fi are features I would use more than 1fps more or one stop faster top shutter. The $300 savings is one good lens more you could get. Also, there is no difference in image quality.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Commander flash is no big deal to me, I use pocket wizards and I own the Nikon d7100 and D800E. The disadvantages of the D80 over the D5300 make me beleive that the D5300 is a move up from the old D80. Check this link out.

http://snapsort.com/...00-vs-Nikon_D80

But I'm glad he chose the D7100 becuase I think thats a even a bigger step up.

I am not familiar with pocket wizards, what are their functions?

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

Pocket Wizards

http://www.amazon.co...sl_3gqqlxztco_b

Nesster

Nesster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Site Supporter

I vote D7100, for the focus motor and metering with old lenses.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

For those who are trying to decide between the two camera's, can I suggest you borrow or buy a copy of David Busch's Nikon D7100: Guide to Digital SLR Photography book. It is really excellent and will provide you with a comprehensive introduction to what this camera is capable of. I have not checked but imagine he may have produced a copy for the D5300, worth checking.

Jay

Jay

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Country Flag

D7100 51 auto focus points across the frame!  You'll never miss a shot!

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
I was in this dilemma recently. The 7100 or the 5300.

I'm moving over from owning a canon 550D and 650D. Sold all my canon kit and decided to look at Nikon.

I liked the idea of the 7100 because it was the 'better' camera in that it's a higher spec than the 5300. But with that comes a higher price.

I had a limited budget and being in the UK I tend to get ripped off with camera prices. I could however afford either model.

I watched many reviews, read lots of forums and carried out plenty of other research over a week or so.

I was just about to hit pay on my 7100 when I had a rethink. I couldn't justify spending as much on the 7100 as I'm taking my family on holiday soon. In addition to that the slightly smaller size of the 5300 appealed to me as did the wifi option.

I appreciate that the 7100 is without a doubt the better camera on paper, but in terms of my needs and use the 5300 made more sense and saved some cash for other areas of my life.

I guess if you can afford the 7100 and it does what you want then it's the one to go for, but the 5300 doesn't seem too bad a compromise if cash is an issue. Some may not need the 7100 spec and may find a smaller still feature rich camera is better for them. After all you wouldn't buy a Ferrari to do a school run.

Hopefully I won't regret my 5300 when it arrives tomorrow. I think it will be a step up from the 650D and I'm looking forward to having a play with it.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

The 5300 is a great camera. I don't think you will be disappointed. 

I love my 7100, but if it had been just a bit cheaper, I also might have been able to get that nice 85mm portrait lens I want too. 

Now I have to wait and save my nickles for that. 

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
That was the other issue for me.

If I'd bought the 7100 I would have had to compromise on my lens choice and buy a cheap budget lens.

By going for the 5300 I've managed to get a decent zoom lens too which is what I really wanted. Without this I'd have been saving for a long time again and it would have affected my wildlife photography.

Admittedly the weatherproofing on the 7100 would have fit my needs but I don't have weatherproof lenses.
Another big plus for me is the fact I can send my photos quickly from the camera to my phone.

I have an unlimited data plan on my phone so sending large photos over 3G or 4G costs me nothing.

I've had photos used by the press in the past. It's been a hurry to get to my laptop at home, get it from camera and email it. With the 5300 I can wifi it to my iPhone and just email the photo with much less messing about.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Great Choice, i think you'll love the 5300. You have to buy whats right for you and what fits with your style of photography.

Looking farward to seeing some of your pictures when you get your new toy.

I agree, we do get ripped of in the UK, it took me ages to figure out the best deal and where to go for it. In the end I used a well known Nikon dealer in London, they gave me free shipping and i got my 7100 a 70-300 lens and my 50mm lens at a great price.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Great Choice, i think you'll love the 5300. You have to buy whats right for you and what fits with your style of photography.
Looking farward to seeing some of your pictures when you get your new toy.

I agree, we do get ripped of in the UK, it took me ages to figure out the best deal and where to go for it. In the end I used a well known Nikon dealer in London, they gave me free shipping and i got my 7100 a 70-300 lens and my 50mm lens at a great price.

Now you tell me! After I bought my D7100 in October.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Now you tell me! After I bought my D7100 in October.

Oh sorry mate, I've I'd known i would have....lol ;)

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I remember quite some time ago some experts said that there was no reason that most people would need a computer in their home.  More recently I remember lots of folks saying they didn't need a cell phone...So, I am not going to make the mistake of suggesting that there is no need or reason, but I will suggest that for me, right now, I do not see the benefit of having WiFi built into the camera - certainly not anything that would cause me to select one body over another.  Same camera for the same price with and without WiFi?  I'd take the WiFi in a heart beat, but for a small amount of money, I can buy a card reader that plugs into my phone and with that I can then manipulate the photos without the need for WiFi. 

Others may have different needs - just suggesting there are (IMHO) other, more critical features to consider.

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
If it was just wifi I'd agree, but there were other features that attracted me to the 5300.

The wifi I like the idea of but if it cost £100 less without it I'd have gone without.

I suspect over time we'll see more dslr with wifi and touch screens. That's the one thing I miss from my canon - the touch screen. Made a huge difference to usage.
If it was just wifi I'd agree, but there were other features that attracted me to the 5300.

The wifi I like the idea of but if it cost £100 less without it I'd have gone without.

I suspect over time we'll see more dslr with wifi and touch screens. That's the one thing I miss from my canon - the touch screen. Made a huge difference to usage.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I agree...I'm sure down the road we will all expect a camera to have WiFi in the same way that we expect things like autofocus today...

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
I'd take a touch screen over that first though.

pebbleheed

pebbleheed

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
The D5300 arrived today and I'm impressed. It's certainly quicker than my canon was. I also like the view finder display system compared to the canon one.

I'm missing my touchscreen but I'm sure I can live without it.

As for settings in menus, the shortcut buttons work fine for me for most settings so it's not as bad as I'd read on some sites.

Quite chuffed with it so far although I've not given it a proper testing yet.

Paladin

Paladin

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

The D7100 is the first DSLR I have ever owned, but before deciding to purchase it, I spent around two months reading "and re-reading" every review on this camera that I could possibly find, and the fact is that in it's price range I could find no better camera.