Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5300 or D7100?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: D5300 or D7100? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Which would you buy? Please post reasons why.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I'm scraping up around $1K for a second body, an upgrade for my D80, which I love, but will become my "second" camera, or backup.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the D5300 and the D7100. It would be nice to have a little scratch left over for another lens too, but the body is the first priority right now. 

Help a brother out. Which would you pick and why?

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

I'd probably go for the D7100, for the second command dial and a few other handy features. The D5300 is a step down (in some ways) from your D80.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

I'd probably go for the D7100, for the second command dial and a few other handy features. The D5300 is a step down (in some ways) from your D80.

Really? In what ways?

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag

Really? In what ways?

You could look it up for yourself. Start with the absence of the front dial, no built in commander flash would rule it out for me.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

You could look it up for yourself. Start with the absence of the front dial, no built in commander flash would rule it out for me.

Oh yes, I could look it all up for myself. I'm interested in what you think, though.

With that attitude though, maybe not. 

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

So, no one is voting in my poll. 

I'm guessing it's a no brainer, and the D7100 is the clear leader. 

Rontography

Rontography

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Country Flag

So, no one is voting in my poll.

Sorry. I'm currently trying to acquire the funds for a D7100 to upgrade from a D90. Haven't even considered the 5300.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Sorry. I'm currently trying to acquire the funds for a D7100 to upgrade from a D90. Haven't even considered the 5300.

I'm going in this direction too.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

I just recently upgraded from a 3100 to the 7100. It's a great camera, has plenty to keep me growing as a photographer and the extra dials and features are great too. With the ability to customise the buttons and dials it's a very user friendly camera.

To date i havent had any issues and the pictures I've taken have been very pleasing. Overall i would suggest going for the 7100.

keep me posted with your final decision.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I'd say move up to the D7100. The built in motor, higher number of AF points, faster FPS make it worth the extra money. If you can hang in for a few weeks there should be some nice holiday rebates coming.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

I'd say move up to the D7100. The built in motor, higher number of AF points, faster FPS make it worth the extra money. If you can hang in for a few weeks there should be some nice holiday rebates coming.

Thanks. I found a refurb for $100 less, which is usually about the same as a holiday rebate, so I'm thinking about going for it. 

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The only thing that the D80 has over the D5300 is the built in focus motor in the body and I think most new lenses don't require you to have a built in focus motor. All AF-S lenses will auto foucus with the D5300. The 5300 has better image quality, higher ISO capabilities. Also the D5300 seems like a fun camera becuase of the built in GPS.

The d7100 can shoot faster then the 5300:  6frames vs 5 frames 

D7100 has faster shutter speed:  1/8000 vs 1/4000  

The D7100 is weather sealed and the D5300 is not

For these reasons I would go with the D7100

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
The metal chassis and weatherproofing are actually pretty important to me. I want to do more outdoors / woods / swamps photography and I tend to drop stuff a lot these days.

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks. I found a refurb for $100 less, which is usually about the same as a holiday rebate, so I'm thinking about going for it. 

I would look into the warrenty of refurbished cameras, I think that Nikon only gives a 90 day warrenty for there refurbished cameras? Not totally positive though so look into it. Getting a bran new D7100 with the full warrenty might be a better deal.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Sometimes the vednors will offer their own warranty on refurb's.   The warranty will be through the vendor, not the manufacturer.   

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

I voted for the D7100 as a result of the research I carried out before purchasing one recently. I think it is a very subjective response, as depends on what you are looking for. So many factors.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks Tony. I agree with you, it is subjective, but I think the D7100 has all the features, and more, that I want. 

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
Bet

The only thing that the D80 has over the D5300 is the built in focus motor in the body

Wrong. See my post above (that alden found objectionable).Between us, I think we may have found 3 of the 5 most important differences. :)

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Commander flash is no big deal to me, I use pocket wizards and I own the Nikon d7100 and D800E. The disadvantages of the D80 over the D5300 make me beleive that the D5300 is a move up from the old D80. Check this link out.

http://snapsort.com/...00-vs-Nikon_D80

But I'm glad he chose the D7100 becuase I think thats a even a bigger step up.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

http://snapsort.com/...-vs-Nikon-D7100