Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon DF

fx full frame dslr

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

nikonfan1999

nikonfan1999

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag

What does everyone think of the new DF? Is it the worthy replacement for the venerable D700 that everyone has been waiting for? Good low light performance, not so excessive pixel count, good image quality.

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

What does everyone think of the new DF? Is it the worthy replacement for the venerable D700 that everyone has been waiting for? Good low light performance, not so excessive pixel count, good image quality.

It'll definitely be a camera of a different nature, but the rumors sound very promising.  I'm looking forward to the official announcement, and then we'll see!

nikonfan1999

nikonfan1999

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag

I am just crossing my finger that they include a capable AF system in the thing. The rumors state that the AF system from the D600/ D610 will be incorporated. I hope these rumors are wrong. The AF system from the D800 would be great.

PBandJ

PBandJ

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
Not me. I'd like a 16 mp, Fx. d4 sensor and D600 AF are fine by me. I'd like to see it under the D610 price.

nikonfan1999

nikonfan1999

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag

My opinion is that the two things holding the D600/D610 back are AF system with the mid frame cluttered AF points taken from an APS-C camera (D7100) and less low light capabilities than is technically possible. Per the rumors, the low light performance seems to be great in the new DF. What I hope does not come true is that it will inherit the same AF system from the D610. My gripe with the system is that it is clustered in the middle and does not cover enough of the FX frame for it to be really useful and intelligent for fast moving objects or even subjects that are outside the center of the frame by a relatively small degree. I hope they give the DF an AF system that was designed with a FX camera in mind. 

Soda Farl

Soda Farl

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag

I really like the idea of these and the marketing so far has been brilliant. I couldn't to consider trading down into the 39 point af system though a major draw back if that is going to be the case.

PBandJ

PBandJ

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
If it's got a $3000 price, as the rumors suggest, I'm out.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

So, just to get me up to speed on this thing, it's a "retro" looking digital SLR with an FX sensor. 

What is the big deal about this? I must be missing something. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Agree Alden...haven't seen anything as yet that makes me think I need one...

Soda Farl

Soda Farl

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag

So, just to get me up to speed on this thing, it's a "retro" looking digital SLR with an FX sensor. 

What is the big deal about this? I must be missing something. 

It's not just the retro look. It has the retro layout of the old film style camera's meaning all the functions are were you would expect them too be. For example dedicated dial for ISO etc.

I would be having one of these if it had of had the af system from the D800,D4.

Richard259

Richard259

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Well the first pictures were published on Nikon Rumors today and whilst interesting, in a retro sort of way, ie it even has a screw in mechanical cable release socket, it looks something like a bloated Nikon FG from film days.  The controls for shutter speed etc are straight off of the F3 and everything else id pretty standard Nikon fare.

However, there's still a mystery surrounding the viewfinder.  Is it electronic (hope not) or a true pentaprism?  I guess we'll all know tomorrow morning.  Oh and it appears to support SD cards only  which is a pain for those of us who have heavily invested in CF cards.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Kind of a cool camera, but it is pricey.   I'd love to play with one though. 

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Its retro design screams backup camera to me, but this price is no backup camera price. To me, I've been holding a DSLR type grip for too many years and it's too comfortable to switch my main camera to a more rigid grip like this retro design offers. If it were DX and priced alongside the OM-D, I'd be in, but I'll stay with my D700 as my main camera.

cupic

cupic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNSW Australia

I like the retro/digital look but price is out of my view for now,but with rebates perhaps but I like my D700 too much

just havent got the time to shoot

cheers

Graham Johnson

Graham Johnson

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Stupid price for what it is.

Would have made more sense at the price level if they didn't cheap out on...

1) should have had the 51 point focus module out of the D800 or at least the 39 point system but better spread through the frame

2) split focus screen

3) use an EL-EN15 battery like all the other new cameras

4) shot 7.5 frames per second

5) single CF card instead of SD card

If they had included this stuff the price point would have been OK and people wanting a D700 replacement would have been all over it.

I would have bought one as a back up camera to the D800

Andi Lo

Andi Lo

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag

Just like D300, a true replacement for D700 does not exist yet.

When pentax enters FF I gander we'll see a true replacement fro D700, just like they did with K-3 (=D400)

byrd-2020

byrd-2020

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Just like D300, a true replacement for D700 does not exist yet.

When pentax enters FF I gander we'll see a true replacement fro D700, just like they did with K-3 (=D400)

Don't you mean "when hell freezes over"? What makes you think that Pentax is going to enter FF?

nikonfan1999

nikonfan1999

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag

Stupid price for what it is.

Would have made more sense at the price level if they didn't cheap out on...

1) should have had the 51 point focus module out of the D800 or at least the 39 point system but better spread through the frame

2) split focus screen

3) use an EL-EN15 battery like all the other new cameras

4) shot 7.5 frames per second

5) single CF card instead of SD card

If they had included this stuff the price point would have been OK and people wanting a D700 replacement would have been all over it.

I would have bought one as a back up camera to the D800

Completely agree. I especially agree with your point on the autofocus system and the split focus screen. For this price they should have included the autofocus system from the D800 covering the full FX frame as opposed to the current autofocus system borrowed from a DX system that does not cover the FX field of view sufficiently. Also, a split screen focusing system would have been great for better focusing using all the legacy glass.

nikonfan1999

nikonfan1999

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag

I think both the Df and D610 cameras are really great. I however just cannot stop thinking how with small tweaks, they could have been so much better. I just wish Nikon would stop shooting themselves in the foot by listening too closely their marketing people. Both the D610 and the Df are great cameras. They however could have been so much more though. What is a focusing system designed for a DX camera doing in a FX body where they barely cover the center of your visual field? Also, why is the ISO in the D610 restricted, presumably in order not to outshine the D800. Both these additions would not -in my belief- have cost Nikon much nor would it have cannibalized D800/ D4 sales. It would rather have won them over more customers from the likes of Canon and Sony.

cowleystjames

cowleystjames

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOxford, UK
I want to call the Df a novelty camera, but feel I don't fully understand Nikons reason for bringing it to market.
Would pro's buy it? I doubt it with the inability to increase the battery life with a battery grip, 39 point autofocus instead of the 51 on the D4, but the thing that kills it for me is the lack of a second card slot! What were Nikon thinking there?
But I do love it, managed to get to look at one at the Nikon school in London at the weekend, boy it looks good and so compact, about the size of a 7100.
I'm sure it'll sell to rich kids but if I wanted an FX in that price bracket I'd buy a D800.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fx, full frame, dslr