Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

To Boldly Edit or Not? that is the question

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Pretty much. I always turn any selection into a new layer. I selected all of her with the lasso tool, bad arm included. Turned that selection into a new layer and erased the right arm. Then I selected (with lasso) the left arm and turned a copy of that into a new layer. Flip it, place it, do a little blend and good enough.

Gotcha.  Thanks!

I almost always work in layers.  Kind of a nice "safety net", plus you can do so much with them.

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Yep, once you get the hang of layers and layering different parts of images it gets really fun and interesting. It also enables you to alter different parts of the same image independently from one another to create some great effects. Have a go at layer masking too!

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Yep, once you get the hang of layers and layering different parts of images it gets really fun and interesting. It also enables you to alter different parts of the same image independently from one another to create some great effects. Have a go at layer masking too!

Here is a (very) simple example of layering that I did.

Shades2-M.jpg

I had the image in PS, then I captured the entire image and copied it, then pasted it over the original image as a new layer.  I set the layer to B&W, then zoomed in on the lenses and erased them from the B&W layer, exposing the color underneath.   Then flatten/merge the two and save the image as a new file.   Easy.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag
Wow. Guess I should learn layers!

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Learning layers really does change photo-editing.

I wrote a quick tutorial about layers and masking a few years back just to show member of my photography group why they were so useful:

Original image:

layer0.jpg

Layers and Masks:

layers1.jpg

layers2.jpg

Complete:

fallslesson.jpg

Nothing special about the image exactly but it gives you an idea of how they work. All I did was add a vignette, convert the rock face to B&W, and play with the curves a little.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Awesome! Very cool!

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Do you have a link to the layers tutorial?  I would like to learn how to use them and am looking for a simple guide.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

unfortunately our website was hacked and the entire forum... 10 years worth of posts... lost. All I had left was the image files since they were saved to my HD.

Fortunately there are TONS of really good tutorials on Layers to be found on Youtube. Checkout this one just to get you started:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nhxj4goGtj0

If you get stuck on something I'll be more than happy to help. :)

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Nice work Thumper. :) simple but very effective. I've used layers and masks like this so many times with some great results. Have guys seen some of the shots with say a red london bus or a old postbox all nice and colourful but all the background is B&W? I love those sort of images and done quite a few myself. :)
Ye there are literally thousands of tutorials online for anything Photoshop, Lightroom, Gimp etc, etc. The possibilities are infinite .:)

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks, though that really sucks about your site!

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Here`s a fun image I made up the other night using multiple layer, I called it tennis ball babies!!

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Here is a (very) simple example of layering that I did.

Shades2-M.jpg

I had the image in PS, then I captured the entire image and copied it, then pasted it over the original image as a new layer.  I set the layer to B&W, then zoomed in on the lenses and erased them from the B&W layer, exposing the color underneath.   Then flatten/merge the two and save the image as a new file.   Easy.

Thumper, you class this as a very simple example, but it is very effective and highlights the potential in this method. Really appreciate the helpful info provided in this thread.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Love the tennis ball babies and the cool sunglasses! I guess I need to start reading up on layers.