Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 5 August 2018

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 5 August 2018, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style—just give us your best shot.

If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

snell

snell

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

In the spirit of "I just got to post this week", I'll submit a photo I took last week and just worked on today. I didn't crop this much as he was really close but I think it came out OK.

D5600

Sigma 150-600 @ 250mm

f/6.3

1/400 sec

iso 1800

Attached Thumbnails

• Levi the Bear-1.jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Dang--he was really close, wasn't he? If you were only at 250mm with a slight crop... I hope he was a friendly bear! Definitely came out ok--nice work. Have you posted a thread with more of your Alaska pictures? We want to see them!

snell

snell

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

OK,, here are a few....     My Alaskan trip - Nature and Animals - NikonForums.com

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Something different from me this week... A monochrome landscape. I saw this as I was waiting for a bus and I just had to try to capture the light on the fields.

43771668442_294ca234ef_o.jpgPES_2018-08-02_13-56-57_14mm_ by merco_61, on Flickr

Model: NIKON D7200
Lens (mm): 14 (AF-S Nikkor 14-24/2.8)
ISO: 100
Aperture: 10
Shutter: 1/500

Picture Control: [LS]Landscape

ADL: High

Monochrome conversion made using Silver Efex Pro with PanF film emulation and selenium toning.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Yes, I am more accustomed to seeing cityscapes (and musicians and botanicals!) from you, Peter, so this is a nice departure. Very pleasant pastoral scene. The highlights on the plants are quite lovely. That bird is small, but it sure catches my eye--I like it! Your conversion reminds me that I haven't reinstalled my Nik set in my latest update of Photoshop. I really miss using Silver FX--need to get on that.

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

Here's one from my son's motorcycle shop that I like.  A few parts fresh out of the powder coating oven.

i-wLXFtPG-X2.jpg

D810, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 @ 50mm, f/1.4, 1/200", ISO 100, white balance set to 5500 K

2 Godox speedlights at camera right and left, on stands set about waist high, one bare and one shoot-through umbrella, both at 1/64th power.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,520 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

One beautiful Dahlia.  Hope you all enjoy and thanks so much for viewing.

Tony

Taken with:  K100D body and Takumar F 70~210mm 1:4~5.6 mm Lens.

1/60s, F/6.3, ISO 200, Focal Length 187mm, used external flash with CWA Metering.

Ciao,Ciao.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP6487.JPG

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Mark, I really like those big, soft highlights on those parts. So nicely done.

Tony, that's beautiful. There's that lens I've never heard of again--heh. Looks like it does a great job at separating the subject from the background. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Nicole, if you want to look for a Nikon lens that is similar to the Takumar Tony uses so well, the AF NIKKOR 70-210 f/4-5.6D that was produced between 1993 and 1999 has similar qualities. As there were a bit over 180000 made, they are not difficult to find on the used market.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Good to know! I just did a quick search on KEH.com and there wasn't anything available right now. It would be a fun acquisition but not a vital one since I'm covered on the 70-200 range for now (though I would like to upgrade from the Tamron eventually).

Edited to add that I know there's more to it than just coverage. I like the way that lens writes, so it could be worth duplicating coverage someday.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,520 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Hi Nicole,

Thanks again for your uplifting and encouraging words.  I started out being a serious photographer in 1975 while attending college in downtown Portland, Oregon.  The school landed a part time job for me at an Old Oregon Money department store and I started out in the Photo Center.  My first purchase was a Canon Ftb with the awesome Canon FD 50mm 1.8 Lens.  (This lens is really in demand now because of its versatility in Live View.)  I had given up photography for nearly 20 years and returned to it in 2010.  My venture into digital photography and the technology involved proved to be almost overwhelming for me so I decided to get serious.  My first digital camera was a Pentax K100D Super with the Pentax 18~55mm kit lens and this gear proved to be the answer to my prayers.  After a few years I decided to broaden my horizons and purchase another brand name digital camera.  Long story short, I now have five different name brand bodies and lenses.  I believe it has been a great assist to me and now I am enjoying this hobby immensely.

Regards,

Tony