Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 29 July 2018

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 29 July 2018, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style—just give us your best shot.

If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

bill10385

bill10385

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Country Flag

Auchumpkee Creek Covered Bridge

Inside 18mm, f/3.5. 1/60 sec

Covered Bridge looking west - 27mm, f/18, 1/60 sec

Attached Thumbnails

• Bike inside of Auchumpkee Creek Covered Bridge compact.jpg
  • Auchumpkee Creek Covered Bridge (compact).jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Those are lovely images, bill--we don't have anything like that out here, so it's wonderful to see these old covered bridges. Someday I'll get out to see some myself! I'm impressed with the exposure on your first image--nice job getting the inside of the bridge so well exposed without blowing out the view at the end. Did you have to do any post processing bumps to achieve that? Any HDR type work? Really nicely done.

bill10385

bill10385

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Country Flag

Nicole,  That is an HDR composite of 5 images from very dark inside with the entrance properly exposed all the way to very bright inside with the entrance completely blown out.  The shots were bracketed in 0.7 stop increments 2 above and 2 below the 1/60 sec exposure time given.  This was taken around 8 am.  The bicycle was there both days I visited so the second day I used it as a prop.  Not terribly inspiring but something to give scale and catch the eye.

That bridge is in South Georgia about an hour south of Atlanta.  I was driving through the area and planned an overnight stay nearby so I could catch it around sunset one evening and sunrise the next morning.  The evening session was not so cooperative as it was cloudy and I was finally run off before sunset by a thunderstorm.

Those are lovely images, bill--we don't have anything like that out here, so it's wonderful to see these old covered bridges. Someday I'll get out to see some myself! I'm impressed with the exposure on your first image--nice job getting the inside of the bridge so well exposed without blowing out the view at the end. Did you have to do any post processing bumps to achieve that? Any HDR type work? Really nicely done.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Nice!!!! I love that you added the bike as a prop--it makes the shot, I think. Thanks for the HDR details. I love that your photo doesn't scream "HDR!!!" It really is well done.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

Just some random outdoor shots

5_E81_E7_DB-60_D3-4_FE9-94_C2-_C681415_B

A883_CAEF-0765-4_B74-_BA00-_B22_C4_E7_B4

C419_BDD9-01_A8-4_F11-_BD5_B-8944910_EAE

EBB34_B34-2_CE2-4_CB8-84_BD-_D7_C2_E8032
EA372_DBA-_CEE6-4_D19-_B2_AA-_F179856_E9

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

Hi Steve!  Haven't seen you here in awhile.  Hope things are looking up for you.

I'll submit this one a little early and if I get something better later in the week I'll post that, too.  We've had a lot of rain this week and I thought the small streams in Shenandoah park should be running pretty full so my wife and I went up for a look.  There's one in particular that is pretty easy to access and has several waterfalls.  I wanted to go upstream to one of the falls that is much wider and more open, but the rain started again about the time we arrived.  I got a couple of shots before we headed back, but by the time we walked the mile back to the truck we were soaked.  Even the dog was giving me dirty looks...  :)

43593471012_fa0dceb2dd_b.jpg

Dark Hollow Falls by Mark, on Flickr

D810, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 @ 70mm, f/8, 4", ISO 64, late afternoon heavy overcast.

Steve M

Steve M

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Site Supporter

Hi Steve! Haven't seen you here in awhile. Hope things are looking up for you.

I'll submit this one a little early and if I get something better later in the week I'll post that, too. We've had a lot of rain this week and I thought the small streams in Shenandoah park should be running pretty full so my wife and I went up for a look. There's one in particular that is pretty easy to access and has several waterfalls. I wanted to go upstream to one of the falls that is much wider and more open, but the rain started again about the time we arrived. I got a couple of shots before we headed back, but by the time we walked the mile back to the truck we were soaked. Even the dog was giving me dirty looks... :)

43593471012_fa0dceb2dd_b.jpg
Dark Hollow Falls by Mark, on Flickr
D810, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 @ 70mm, f/8, 4", ISO 64, late afternoon heavy overcast.

Yes it had been awhile since I have been here. My sickness has kept Mt my home and am not allowed to drive.

By the way a great picture you have posted.

Hello to allow.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I have restarted a very contemplative hobby this summer. I am currently building a 36.5" electric model aeroplane. I shot this as I was framing up the wings.

42769312655_030ca08889_o.jpgPES_2018-07-27_16-02-17_24mm_ by merco_61, on Flickr

Model: NIKON D700
Lens (mm): 24 (AF-S Nikkor 14-24/2.8)
ISO: 200
Aperture: 6.3
Shutter: 1/30
Exp. Comp.: -1.0

Picture Control: [VI]Vivid

Shot indoors in available light.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

Testing out my daughter's new camera (and will serve as a third/backup camera to me on wedding days) a Sony A6500 with Sony 85mm f1.4 G Master lens.

41882219020_520d94db96_b.jpg

R7 Beach Shoot by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

edit... Here's another one.

42787461445_70453cdb2f_c.jpg

R7 Beach Shoot by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Awesome Lily.  Please enjoy and thanks so much for viewing.

Tony

Taken with Canon EOS Rebel t5 body and Canon EF-S 55~250mm IS, II Lens.

1/60s, F/11, ISO 100, F/L 250mm, Manual Exposure and No Flash.  :))

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3701.JPG

snell

snell

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

I'm just back from a 7 night Alaskan cruise. Choosing my best from over 1000 photos isn't easy. Here is a major contender. That place is a photographer's dream!

Taken from a whale watching boat on a cruise ship excursion. 

D5600

Sigma 150-600 @ 220mm

f/5.3

1/3200 sec  (boat and whales were both moving LOL)

iso 320

Attached Thumbnails

• feedingt humpbacks-1.jpg

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

I'm just back from a 7 night Alaskan cruise. Choosing my best from over 1000 photos isn't easy. Here is a major contender. That place is a photographer's dream!

Great shot Snell.  Was that taken from a boat?  What were your camera settings?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

This week my subject wasn't moving...We came down to the water for the weekend.  My wife found this and I grabbed a few shots...D500 and 70-200...

Spider-3383.jpg

f5 /1/250 ISO 400

They are apparently a harmless spider, however at about 3 inches from front of legs to back of legs, my wife did not want to risk our dogs messing with it so it is no longer in the yard...

Spider-3375-2.jpg

f4 /1/400 ISO 400

Ugly and pretty at the same time...the web was REALLY big...

Oh yea...it would be great if someone would stop the rain on the east coast...animals are lining up in pairs and heading towards my boat...

Fletch

Fletch

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHawaii

Writing Spider aka Corn Spider

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Steve, thanks for posting that lovely set of nature photos. The butterfly is especially attractive--were you fairly close with a shorter focal length on that one? It looks like you have quite a bit of depth of field, so I'm trying to figure out your focal length and aperture! I don't do close up very well--it's something I'm working on. :) Also glad to see you here--hope you're doing well. Treatments going ok?

Mark, that waterfall is gorgeous. The water is so silky--I love it. The composition is dynamic and appealing, and the highlights on the rocks are nicely captured too. I'm more than a little envious that you live close enough to Shenandoah that you can just run over there and check things out.

Peter, the light in this photo is wonderful--was the available light from a window by chance? I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this hobby--I hope you'll keep us posted as you progress in the building of your plane.

Darryl, those are beautiful portraits, as always. I love the light on the first one and am intrigued by the light on the second one. :) I see in another thread that you are defecting to the Sony camp. I hope you'll still check in here and let us see how you're doing with the change. I'm interested because I've been contemplating acquiring a Sony mirrorless myself (and I think that camera you got for your daughter is the same exact one I recommended to my sister).

Tony, I'm pretty sure I've already commented elsewhere on this photo, so I'm probably saying the same thing here--but those colors are just luscious. In fact, they remind me of the inside of a peach. The texture is well captured, and I like the closeup composition. Lovely photo of a lovely flower!

snell, what a great moment to capture! What a privilege! Alaska is still on our radar (canceled a trip awhile back--now we're shooting for 2020). Great work with that 150-600mm--were you using a tripod? I can't imagine trying to hold that lens on a moving boat. :D Really well done!

Tom, I got a good chuckle out of your comment about the animals pairing up--wish you could share some of that rain out this way. We are super hot and on fire. Anyway, I hate spiders, but I really like your images anyway. The detail is perfect (I can see hair!), and the spider is so well isolated from its background. And hey, nice to see that you had your D500 out! (Now I have to go have a little freak-out--three inches??!!)

Quality work this week, guys--you are awesome!

I have an image or two to share from this weekend--just need to find time to process. Maybe tonight or tomorrow...late for sure. :)

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Nicole - yes, 3 inches...and I hate spiders as well...I have a good friend who is EMT / Firefighter / Search and Rescue near Lake Tahoe so I am always keeping an eye on the fire situation all over the west - not just his area...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Yes, the light is from a large window. It was 3 PM sun-time at capture.

The wing is nearly finished now, the fin and stabilizer are next. I like the thought of just building and flying some models this time around. I was involved in aeromodelling as a competitive sport from 1983 up to 2007 or so. This little plane is *a bit* different to what I used to do. Building from balsa sheet and a plan is a very soothing activity, especially with some classical music on the turntable. I have rediscovered Bruckner and listen to his symphonies as the parts for the plane take shape.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Yes, the light is from a large window. It was 3 PM sun-time at capture.

The wing is nearly finished now, the fin and stabilizer are next. I like the thought of just building and flying some models this time around. I was involved in aeromodelling as a competitive sport from 1983 up to 2007 or so. This little plane is *a bit* different to what I used to do. Building from balsa sheet and a plan is a very soothing activity, especially with some classical music on the turntable. I have rediscovered Bruckner and listen to his symphonies as the parts for the plane take shape.

I've been thinking for awhile that I would like to get into videography (ha ha, I know--barely enough time to produce still photographs, so with what time would I do this?). Anyway, I'm thinking your aeromodelling would be a compelling subject for a short documentary. The scene you just described would be lovely with the pretty window light illuminating your work area and Bruckner playing in the background. And we'd have to cut to an interview in which we hear you describing in Swedish how soothing the work is while we read it in English subtitles. I'd watch that!

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The way you describe it, I don't see why this couldn't be a photo series article featuring some original Swedish quotes in a print magazine (or a blog).

I think, you should just travel to Sweden and do this as a photography project. ;-)