Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Manual Focus With Live View

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Den61

Den61

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDevon
Hi
I’m trying to learn how to use my camera in A..S..or M, when I take shots through eye piece my pics are never focused. I have tried adjusting the +. - with no joy, maybe as I wear glasses?
If I use live view there good but when sunny I can’t see view finder as too bright. Can anyone tell me how they do it.

Regards

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Even so I guess you know, but with the A-S-M modes you can still have the autofocus on.

As regards the dioptric correction, there are two ways of working:
- keep your glasses on (ok, they get dirty after a while) and use the neutral setting (the correction is done by your glasses) while using the viewfinder - this is the way I work
- remove the glasses, use autofocus and then start adjusting the dioptric setting until you see a sharp picture to find the good setting (basically the same than adjustging binoculars)

If you can’t get the pictures to become sharp while autofocussing there might be other (technical) issues - but this seemed not to be your point.

HTH

Den61

Den61

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDevon
Thank you Jerry, very helpful. One other thing I noticed when I press info button to set iso etc the “MF” manual is never highlighted. Tried loads of different settings to try and get it to open?
Oh I have a D5200.
Thanks Again.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
When you mention that is « never highlighted », do you mean « greyed out ».

I have checked on a D5100 which I had at hand and for that camera there was no issue for selecting the MF. Also having checked the D5200 User manual (page number 30 of file http://download.niko...D5200VRUM_EU(En)01.pdf ) and there is no mention for it not being available. Are the other AF-S, AF-A, AF-C modes available?

What lens is connected - and does that lens usually works fine?

TBH I don’t know what could cause the MF not being available, while other modes would be.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

when I press info button to set iso etc the “MF” manual is never highlighted

If the Focus Mode setting in the Info display reads MF and is not selectable, the camera thinks it can't autofocus. This could be due to:

1. Physical A/M switch on the lens is set to M.
  2. Dirty lens contacts.
  3. Incompatible lens (screw drive autofocus is unsupported on 3000/5000 series).
  4. Malfunctioning lens or camera.
  5. Manual focus lens.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

What lens are you trying to use?  Scott has pretty much listed my thoughts...Once we know which lens you are working with we should be able to provide "next steps" in trying to figure out your issue...

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

we should be able to provide "next steps" in trying to figure out your issue...

LOL... I am not even sure what the issue is. The thread title is "manual focus in live view", and he goes on to say he is having no luck with it using the viewfinder. Not surprising as I find MF using the 3000/5000 series' puny dark viewfinder near impossible for manual focus. Even the prism based VFs are iffy since we no longer have the split-prism aids we had in the film days (big reason I bought a mirrorless).

But then he goes on to mention he is using the electronic rangefinder to set manual focus and still having no luck. That should be pretty accurate if he has the right focus point selected. 

So it is kinda like one of those support questions "it doesn't work". How does it not work? Exactly what are you doing to try and get it to work, and what is the unexpected behavior you are experiencing?

@Den61 How about posting a couple of your mis-focused photos, what part of the frame you were trying to focus on, and what focus point was selected, and your EXIF info?

Den61

Den61

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDevon
Brand new Sigma 18-300. Also had a Nikon 70-200 same problem MF not highlighted. Seems I may have a faulty 5200. When I toggle through each setting the MF won’t highlight. If I switch from MF to AF on lens it highlights? Little thing annoying me. Thanks for inputs though appreciated.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

If I switch from MF to AF on lens it highlights?

Expected behavior. If you switch the lens to MF, the camera can't autofocus so the in-camera setting for MF/AF is disabled.

Den61

Den61

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDevon

Expected behavior. If you switch the lens to MF, the camera can't autofocus so the in-camera setting for MF/AF is disabled.

Right got it. Cheers

Dlcampbell

Dlcampbell

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I need help with the Manual Settings on the D5200.  Is there any information on this?