Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon L840 ND filter and focusing

nd filter l840 butterfly lens hole aperture hole

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

srobert

srobert

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNis
Hello I am really glad that I have found this forum and I hope you will help me with the problem I have...

This year I have bought used Nikon L840 but still under two year warranty. This is second time i had sent my device for repair because first time they told me that everything was fine with it...

I have problems focusing with that camera in low light conditions when I don't want to use flash..Images are then always a little blurry compared to my cheap canon a560 and Fuji s5600...I have tried shooting the full moon also, when camera cant focus at all (in moon and automatic mode)...

results shooting moon:

DSCN3726.jpg

DSCN3722.jpg

I thought that secondary hole in the next image was the cause of problem  but technician said this was the ND Filter hole, and there is that secondary hole in every L840????
20180528_201341.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help, it will be much appreciated...

srobert

srobert

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNis
UPDATE: After second time this camera was sent for repair they returned it with I quote "replaced lens" but there is again that strange hole in lens periphery...

1.Please can some owner of this camera confirm that there is a hole in periphery for a reason because

2.There is now still considerable amount of blur which I think is caused by camera choosing way too low shutter speeds OR the cause is that strange hole posted before this:
DSCN8708.jpg

DSCN8708c.jpg
By zooming in Sony sign picture gives 3 miss-overlapped images of sign. Picture above with Sony speaker is taken automatically at 1/6s of shutter speed...
As I am a beginner, is this normal setting for automatic mode?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

At 1/6 of a second, it is normal for an image to show blur from the movement of the camera. assuming it isn't on a tripod being remotely triggered.  While it isn't obvious in most situations, we feel still, but we are not totally still and the images above all seem to show the same issue.  It isn't just the shutter speed though.  You have shutter speed, aperture and ISO which all impact how the final image looks.  To be sure on things we would need all three settings to fully understand what happened. 

However, here is a simple test you can do.  Try and take an image outside in daylight - a portrait of a friend, a photo of a building or something like that.  You should get a much faster shutter speed which should allow for clean focus.  Regardless, post it here with the shutter speed, aperture and ISO settings and we will be able to help you move forward...