Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

3 Prime Lenses for backpacking travel of 6+ months

nikon d750 nikon 20mm nikon 50mm nikon 105mm nikon 85mm

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

rschwede

rschwede

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello!

First time posting here and was seeing if I can get some feedback.

I will be travelling SE Asia for 6 months with a Mavic Pro and Nikon gear. I will be backpacking so will need to be light! So far, I am bringing my D750 with a 20mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8 and I am searching for my 3rd and final lens. Specifically I am looking at another prime and I am torn between the 85mm 1.8 and the 105 macro 2.8.

Any thoughts on focal range? weight issues? etc. What would YOU choose!? I love the idea of bringing a macro but the size is the only con I am seeing on the 105mm macro. I don't think the 50mm to the 85mm may be enough length...

Thanks Nikon users

Ryan

emccarthy25

emccarthy25

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Country Flag
I don’t know if you’ve already left for your trip, but I might suggest something in the 150mm range and an extension tube set for when you want to do some macro shots. Extension tubes don’t take up much space and even for ones with electrical connections are relatively affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Why the MicroNikkor? The new Tamron 90 is better both for macro use and for normal short tele use.

Extension tubes don't work too well with IF lenses as they get very visible CA when used with extension. A good diopter like a Raynox is a better choice if you decide to get a modern lens without close-up capabilities.

I would rather have a macro lens as my short tele as the traditional portrait lenses don't do too well up close. It is too bad that Nikon haven't released an affordable 105 or 135 as those focal lengths work better as a third in a 20>50>? ladder.

My travel kit are 24/1.8>35/1.8>105/2DC, but that is because of using the old manual focus lenses for so long. (24/2.8Ai>35/2 O-Nikkor>105/2.5 were a joy to work with.)

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Don't get me wrong, I do understand the weight issues - especially when backpacking!  However, if it were me I would go with the 24-70 and the 70-200 or maybe the 24, 50, 85 and 135.  Once in a lifetime so I would not want a 105 as my longest lens.  That said, it isn't my body and I am not sure what else you need to carry so I will also say that having had the 85 1.4 and the 105 Micro 2.8 as well as a similar combo in Pentax many years ago, I seem to prefer the 105 range to the 85 range.  My 105 gets used more (not counting macro) than my 85 ever did.  I have not had the chance to try the Tamron 90 and if Peter mentioned it, you should probably look into it :)!

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

Don't get me wrong, I do understand the weight issues - especially when backpacking!  However, if it were me I would go with the 24-70 and the 70-200 or maybe the 24, 50, 85 and 135.  Once in a lifetime so I would not want a 105 as my longest lens.  That said, it isn't my body and I am not sure what else you need to carry so I will also say that having had the 85 1.4 and the 105 Micro 2.8 as well as a similar combo in Pentax many years ago, I seem to prefer the 105 range to the 85 range.  My 105 gets used more (not counting macro) than my 85 ever did.  I have not had the chance to try the Tamron 90 and if Peter mentioned it, you should probably look into it :)!

i am with him on 24-70 with 70-200mm and maybe 85 or 105 macro lens. since macro will give better closeup shots of bugs or  other plants or small lizards or tiny creatures too. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon d750, nikon 20mm, nikon 50mm, nikon 105mm, nikon 85mm