Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Matt Granger said best value lens is 85mm 1.8 $479.95 over 85mm 1.4 $1,599.95

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

he said one best value lens AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G $479.95 over AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G $1,599.95 do you guys agree or disagree with this. i think he right but want your guys thought on this. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

That depends on what end result you want. The f/1.8 is sharper, but the background gets busy, especially if there are specular highlights present.

The f/1.4 on the other hand is a pure portrait lens, where how it draws trumps absolute sharpness.

Even if you shoot both at  the same aperture, the f/1.4 will always draw smoother, both the sharp and the unsharp parts in the frame. It doesn't do harsh, gritty portraits because it is optimized to give a more classic look with minimal postprocessing. For the photographer who wants that, it is one of the best but for others it is not worth the money.

If you want absolute sharpness in the sharp parts and a smoother background, the Sigma 85/1.4 ART will muddy the decision process even more.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I can second what Peter said about the background. I do love my AFS 85mm f/1.8G but because of it's non rounded aperture blades you really have to pay attention to the background. It's not a deal killer but something to think about. Otherwise it's a terrific lens and I don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Is the f/1.4 better? Yep, but it's also $1600. So, yeah, the f/1.8 version qualifies as a bargain in my book.

--Ron