Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Opinions on Photography Classes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

DocMD

DocMD

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, Guys and Gals!

I am considering enrolling in a photography class, or hiring a photographer to give me instruction. Have been looking on Lessons.com and been contacted by a couple of photographers with offers for instruction.

I am a big believer that most of us buy items for the features they have and the functions they perform, but few of us actually take advantage of most of the features (i.e., our cell phones...). I have a D5600, the 70-300mm lens, the 18-55mm lens, a 35mm and a 40mm. I have an inexpensive Neewer TT560 speedlight, and a Manfrotto Element Traveler Big tripod. I don't intend to purchase any other equipment until I develop a fair degree of competency with the setup I currently have. 

I've just been playing recently taking pics of the family and experimenting with settings around the house. I intend to do more at family functions, and get out and do some landscape, cityscape and animals.

Any thoughts or opinions on instruction would be appreciated. 

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

for me do some research i been self teach my self and watching videos  on youtube. also took some basic class taught by nikon from nikon approved trainers that use nikon. you could find some good books like i found. and read up and try the stuff. or take class. i got books to read and learn from bu find out i learn more with hands on training. since i need to see done and be able to ask question back and forth. 

DocMD

DocMD

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks fallout666. I’m doing some online reading, looking at videos from others, and some from Nikon as well, but as you mentioned, it’s sometimes helpful to be able to bounce questions or ideas off someone in real-time. Kinda just to be sure if I got it right, or to see just where I got it wrong.

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

I have not found a traditional classroom style course that was close to home.  I've looked at a few local community college class listings and there just doesn't seem to be much offered in my area.  I have found a few resources that helped immensely, both in getting started and on more focused areas.  Below are links to my top 3 in the order I'd recommend reading them.

Start with Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson.  Brian has many more titles on other topics if you like his writing style, but this one lays the foundation.

Steve Perry publishes the Backcountry Gallery blog and has written a couple of good books.  He is a wildlife photographer, but his e-book on the Nikon autofocus system is not specific to a type of photography.  It covers all recent and current Nikon models and I found it extremely helpful in understanding how to improve my image quality.  This one is not available in hard copy but if you have a kindle or tablet you can take it with you.

David Hobby publishes the Strobist blog.  I recommend starting with his Lighting 101, 102, and 103 courses and subscribe for updates.  These courses are series of short, instructive articles with some exercises that take you from very beginner to advanced, multi-light scenarios at your own pace.

https://www.amazon.c...anding exposure

Secrets To The Nikon Autofocus System: DSLR Edition – Backcountry Gallery Web Store

Strobist

DocMD

DocMD

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Country Flag
Sunshine,
Thanks for the input. I will definitely check these out.
Appreciate the help!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

MANY years ago I took a few photo classes - mostly because they provided me access to a darkroom so I could do my own processing.  I am sure I probably heard a few things there that would have taken me longer to learn without the class, but the fact I was already processing film tells you that I wasn't new to photography...

If you are already going out, shooting and experimenting with your equipment, then you may not need the class - you can always post images here for feedback and recommendations towards improvement.  Otherwise, if you feel like you need an excuse to go out and practice or if you want someone who can give you suggestions on what / where / how then a class may be a great option for you.  

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,260 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I think the Community College idea is a good one. I've seen some listings that are mainly for hobbyist but they also usually have courses geared towards those who wish to pursue photography as a profession. However, if you're thinking of becoming a photo pro or photo journalist, you would probably be better served by an art or photojournalism course at a college or university. My guess is that you're probably not thinking of going pro though.

Some zoos and botanical gardens have photo classes that are geared towards their specific interests. Some of these classes are also geared towards macro photography which can be handy if that's an interest of yours.

There are numerous online courses that can be useful and may in fact be all you need. Some are paid while others are completely free. I've never taken one so I can't recommend any specific courses.

Hiring a photographer to teach you may be an OK idea provided he or she is knowledgeable enough. There are plenty of people who produce great art but that doesn't mean that they can teach you how to produce great art. But still, you would be getting one on one feedback so it might be worth thinking about. 

Then there's the ole axiom about getting to Carnage Hall. Practice, practice, practice. 

--Ron

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Hi DocMD--glad you're here. Lots of good advice given so far! I definitely agree with all that's been said. You are wise to be thinking about investing in education--it's probably more important than investing in more gear right now. 

If books work for your learning stye, I'd definitely second sunshine's recommendation for Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure. (Actually, everything I've read from Peterson has been excellent.) 

I've done just about everything mentioned above and found it all helpful to some degree. It really depends on your learning style. I do best with a hands-on approach with external feedback and correction. Thus, being in a one-on-one or very small group setting with an instructor has probably been where I've seen the most progress in my learning. It's not often cheap, but it has been worth it. If you can find a quality instructor with good reviews, go for it. Just beware the arrogant pontificator type who is mostly just trying to show off what he or she knows rather than genuinely help someone learn. Where are you and what is your budget? I'm betting that someone around here has a good instructor or workshop near you to recommend.

One other resource to consider—have you ever checked out CreativeLive.com? They live stream free photography classes (which you can then buy if you find them useful enough to own). They have excellent instructors--I've actually ended up purchasing a few of their classes because they are that good. One of their best instructors for beginner/intermediate photographers is Scott Greengo. He is fantastically clear. Seriously--several years ago I watched an older version of this class of his and it was a game changer in understanding my camera and photography in general:

Fundamentals of Photography Class with John Greengo | CreativeLive

Anyway, good luck, and I hope you'll stick around the forums. As TBonz has pointed out, lots of help to be had here. And Ron is correct--practice is the best way to learn.

DocMD

DocMD

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Country Flag
Correct in your assessment, Ron. Not thinking of going pro. Just want to be a rather competent hobbyist.

Everyone has given good advice. I am shooting more and trying to find time to get out and do some experimentation with subjects, scenes, and techniques.
This is going to take me a while. (Smile)

Nbanjogal, thanks for the link to creativelive.com i will be checking this out this weekend. Gonna keep looking for info and tips online for now. My time is a little sporadic, and can’t commit to a class schedule, or even a personal instructor with a flexible schedule.

Really glad I found this forum. Getting some good info. Happy to be here.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

Thanks fallout666. I’m doing some online reading, looking at videos from others, and some from Nikon as well, but as you mentioned, it’s sometimes helpful to be able to bounce questions or ideas off someone in real-time. Kinda just to be sure if I got it right, or to see just where I got it wrong.

that's why i took the nikon Elements of Photography where nikon does class all over usa. they even have class where you go to miami zoo and take class with one of there photographer there. some class cheap other expensive two guys i took class from also do field trips where you go different parts of world and photography trip with them and will teach at same time. if had cash for zoo trip  or field trip would take one. i also got this book dk Digital Photography Complete Course book and advance book too. both great thing to have. use them when i want to learn or remind me on how to right after i forget how to do it. also each lens has its pro and cons based on where your taking pictures