Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon FM Lenses Won't Mount

nikon fm ai mount problem lens 35mm screw

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

mitchb

mitchb

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi,

I'm having some trouble mounting lenses to my Nikon FM, and was hoping for some feedback or info.

I've had a 28mm Nikkor 1:2.8 AI lens on my FM for a while now, and just bought an E-Series 50mm 1:1.8, but cannot get it to mount.

The problem is with a small mount/shelf attached to the inside body of the camera, just above the mirror, adjacent to the focusing screen, with a small screw holding it place. Essentially along the top-side of the square. My 28mm lens rubs against it, but manages to go on alright (it's removed a small section of the black paint on the rear of the lens--see photo). But this E-Series lens won't budge.

I've seen other FMs with this exact lens, however I can't find a photo of an FM body online that has this little shelf. All either have nothing, or just a small screw without the mount.

It looks factory installed, with the frame behind having a small recess to accommodate it. And from what I can tell from the surface, it's had a light seal strip along it.

Has anyone encountered this in an FM before, and if so--is it safe to remove?

See attached photos for reference.

Thanks,

Mitch.

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I think you might want to take or send for repair.  I do not remember any "correct" lens to body interaction with any brand of camera that would cause paint to be removed.  Definitely sounds like something isn't right...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

That looks like a screen from another camera has been substituted. I hane never seen that solution in any FE or FM

mitchb

mitchb

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Ended up taking it in to Vintech camera repairs on Lonsdale st in Melbourne. It turns out the little plate that the screw goes through should have been slotted into a small inlet in the body, just below the surface.

Got it fixed up free of charge, which I'm pretty chuffed about, and the lens goes on fine now.

Just reassembled wrongly form a past clean, I suppose.

Once I'm done shooting the roll of film in it, I think I'll take it back for a clean.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon, fm, ai, mount, problem, lens, 35mm, screw