Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 15 July 2018

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 15 July 2018, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style—just give us your best shot.

If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

Looks like I'm first this week.  I have a bunch more to process, but this is my favorite so far.  I was in Montana for my day job and got out for the sunset one evening.  This was taken above Missoula.

42698667374_a14235ad54_h.jpg

Waterworks Hill, Missoula, MT by Mark, on Flickr

D810, Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 @ 200mm, f/11, 1/30", ISO 64

(The exif on Flickr will show 140mm.  My lens has stopped recording the correct focal length.  It shows 140mm for any zoom length of 140 or higher.)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

43255653392_f527c3bf7e_o.jpgPES_2018-07-09_14-10-32_50mm_A by merco_61, on Flickr

Model: NIKON D7200
Lens (mm): 50 (Tamron 17-50/2.8)
ISO: 800
Aperture: 6.3
Shutter: 1/800
Exp. Comp.: -1.0
Picture control: [VI]Vivid

This photo was all about embracing the hard afternoon light. This is why I used ISO 800 to compress the dynamic range compared to ISO 100 or 200 without going high enough to get excessive noise. The high contrast and saturation in the Vivid picture control give further emphasis to the already hard light and the -1 EV in exposure compensation works together with the high and raised contrast to give the resulting punch I was after.
If I had had a scrim with me, I would probably have gone for the delicate details in the petals or a nice impressionist rendering instead. This hard rendering works well to break up a series of more mellow botanicals, but they quickly get too much if you try to build a collection for an online gallery or an exhibition.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,520 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Taken with Pentax k-50 body and Takumar F 70~210mm Lens.

1/160s, F/5.6, ISO 200, F/L 210mm.

Thanks so much for viewing.

TT

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP4470 (4).JPG

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Mark, you really get around with your day job! Wow! I love Montana--grew up in Idaho and made frequent trips up north. It does my heart good to see that landscape. I love how you captured the contours of the landscape--you chose a great time of day to shoot.

Peter, that was one of my favorites from your hard light set. I'm still super impressed with how you pulled it off, and I'm definitely wanting to try it myself (though being outside midday right now is quite unpleasant--I hate the heat).

Tony, that's a lovely composition, and the detail and colors are well captured. I really like the painterly effect you managed in the out-of-focus portions of the image--great lens that I've never heard of!

I took some photos this weekend but haven't quite finished processing them. I hope to have something to post here in the next day or so...

Thanks for playing, guys--you're the best!

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

Thanks Nicole.  I have done more work-related travel this year than normal.  I think it is coming to an end, though.  I really don't mind - airports and the air travel experience in general is unpleasant these days.  If you would like to see more Montana, here's a link to an album on Flickr.  Most are "snapshots" that will serve as memories of the trip rather than wall hangers.  I didn't make them all public because there's just too many.  Montana 2018 | Flickr

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Coming in way late with a couple of phone photos...My brother-in-law and his wife came up to visit us.  They brought their small pups with them and the 4 of us got some time together by the water before we came back to town so they could see the rest of our family.  They have a rescue that seems to be part Pomeranian and part Papillon who is a feisty little pup.  She weighs less than the Great Dane's head :)

IMG_0889.jpg

They did play for a bit, but definitely not a pair I would leave alone together!  One evening we all headed out to one of the restaurants downtown.  We haven't been there in awhile, but every time I drive by I keep telling myself that the next time I am walking I want to get this image of the old restored sign:

IMG_0901.jpg

Hard to get anything too great unless I clone out all of the power lines, poles and stop lights.  I do plan to go back when time permits to see if I can get a better angle with my Nikon.  

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Mark--I took a quick peek at your Montana album. Loved it! Was the jogger someone you know or did you just happen to be in the right place at the right time? Nice light there!

Tom, I hope you will go back and get a cool shot of that old sign, though your phone did a pretty dang good job anyway. Great shot of those two dogs--fun to see the contrast in size!

I'm super late--sorry! I don't have much time for photography, and I have even less for processing, heh. It took me awhile to get this session edited. Did a birthday portrait session for a newly minted 16-year-old who loves music.

42655673635_8215e6a7de_b.jpgMusician portrait by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

D810, Nikkor 85mm f/1.8, f/2.8, 1/200, ISO 1250

Mostly natural light during the session, though I did use my reflector for many of the images.

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

Mark--I took a quick peek at your Montana album. Loved it! Was the jogger someone you know or did you just happen to be in the right place at the right time? Nice light there!

The jogger was one of many who passed that evening but one of few that I was able to capture.  I walked up that trail (no way could I jog up there  :)) thinking landscapes, so I had the camera set to small apertures and longish shutter speeds for maximum depth of field and wasn't really thinking about portraits.  I saw her coming from far enough away that I was able to change up for a couple of shots.  Sunset that Thursday and the sunrise the next morning provided the best light of the week.  Most of my free time occurred during the afternoons when the sun was high in the sky.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

And so, I failed...The images above actually should have been posted in the previous week's group (8-July)...my apologies...

And so, here are images from a rugby tournament on the 14th of July...For you rugby folks out there, this was a 7s Tourney so several fewer players on the pitch...On one field, the men were playing and on the field next to it, the women were playing.  So, I bounced back and forth between the fields...Most if not all images shot at ISO 400, f4 and 1/2000 using my D4 and 200-400.  While none posted here, my wife also shot at the tourney with my D500 and 70-200.  Looks like 

The ladies:

Cottontown7s2018-7434.jpg

Thankfully there was no wardrobe malfunction above (or during any of the other games)...

Cottontown7s2018-7446.jpg

She got away :)

Cottontown7s2018-8096.jpg

Loved the faces of the players here...yes, the one lady does have what appeared to be a bandaid on the left side of her nose...

The men:

Cottontown7s2018-8421.jpg

Thankfully he did not throw to me...

Cottontown7s2018-8472.jpg

I liked how they were in step...for quite a distance actually...

Cottontown7s2018-8499.jpg

The ladies hit pretty hard, but this was probably the hardest hit I captured...

Client was happy so we will be doing other tourneys down the road!