Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you find HSS useful?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid
Subject says it all. Do you find high speed sync that useful? I’m pondering how much weight to give this feature while flash shopping.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
You'd have to ask yourself how many times you've hit the wall with your current camera sync. For me, so far... never.

I can see it being really useful for outdoor portraiture and still life, but for a subject at any real distance you need more power than a speedlight. That stuff gets pricey fast.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I have not found a use for hss at all. The problem is that when the light levels are high enough to dictate a higher than sync shutterspeed, you will need all the flash output you can get if the flash is to have any input on the final exposure. HSS reduces output power significantly.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
I can't remember the last time I took a photo outdoors with lighting that was actually under sync speed? So yes, I find it invaluable.

I've said it plenty of times, I love my Godox lights.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I would tend to agree...only folks I have heard using it are some sports photographers using strobes and using the strobes to stop the action...I have never tried it and don't plan to...

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

Thanks all for your thoughts. I've settled on a Yongnuo YN568ex, which does have HSS. I realized, belatedly, that my SB600 has HSS and tried it out a bit. Won't need it most days, but I can imagine applications and at worst, my spec-checking urge is satisfied that my new flash doesn't lack a feature my old one has.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag

I would tend to agree...only folks I have heard using it are some sports photographers using strobes and using the strobes to stop the action...I have never tried it and don't plan to...

Mostly used for outdoor portraits shot wide open. HSS is actually not good at freezing motion because the flash duration is much longer than when shot at under sync speed.

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid

Several months later...

I decided to really throw some effort into using the flash, any flash, even the pop up flash on the D700 for daylight fill. I use it so seldom I was doing some things wrong and getting overexposure, but it made me rediscover an appreciation for fill flash. Next step was to actually trouble to take an external speedlight with me for fill for the power, speed and maybe to try out HSS.

Today was the step. I brought my SB600 to a 6-year-old's birthday party, with my own kids in tow. Needless to say, I didn't get as much shooting done as I'd hoped, but the exercise amply demonstrated that A) HSS is indeed useful for my purposes and B) Trying to balance ambient and fill in changing circumstances is bad enough without minding a 3-year-old you can't trust in the open.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
It's invaluable for me. Mostly shooting shallow depth of field portraits outside so I need the high shutter speed to bring the ambient down to where I want it.

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid
Yeah, being able to shoot all the way down to f/1.4 and still use fill was great. Also great though, not the flexibility in balancing against ambient. It was bright Spanish sun but with subjects mostly in patches of shade. Really helped keep the sun spots from blowing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk