Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Just rented a Nikon AF-S 200-500 f5.6 E ED VR

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY

I'm planning to go for 2 days 1 night solo camping and I'm really interesting on the VR and how sharp is this lens in all zoom range!

It cost me 200$ for 14 days, not bad at all

I can rent all the zoom lens and see by myself whats better for me before i pull the trigger

My only worry is no weather sealing??

I mean COME ON NIKON you should add some rubber inside so you can destroy the competition

It is not an indoor  Lens lol

I wanna try NIKON before the sigma 150-600 sport  or tamron 150-600 vc usd so I can higher up my expectations

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

they do sell lens coats for that lens. so it sleeve that goes over camera to keep some what sealed 

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY

they do sell lens coats for that lens. so it sleeve that goes over camera to keep some what sealed

My new toy came in...
Can't wait to try it, but the focus is slow for action
Let me know about the tamron

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

My new toy came in...
Can't wait to try it, but the focus is slow for action
Let me know about the tamron

not sure what body you have but will be using my new lens on my d5300 and if like my brother will try it on his d80 or d90 camera when i bring out to so so cal to take surfing pictures along with my first gen 70-200mm lens and my 12-24mm and 35mm lens since brother has better 50mm lens but full manual on my body. also my body does not have motor like d7000 series or d500 has inside the camera so will have some auto focusing issue do to fact lens will be doing more work and camera body hold back lens like my  first gen 70-200mm 

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY
I own a D500
There is very small Letters with nikon bodies and lenses its so complicated !I have no idea whats goin on

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

what i mean i do not have focusing motor inside my body so i have to really on lens more since i have beginner body and not dx flagship body your body can do way more then my body. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

The 200-500 is not a "pro" lens, thus the lack of weather proofing and the slower focus.  Look towards one of the primes or the 200-400 as other Nikon options.  The 200-500 however is a nice lens and I've seen some great images out of it.  Really depends on which one will work best for the shooting that you want to do.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

i love my 150-600mm lens but need to more trial and error since could not compare to my nikon first gen 70-200mm since did not give me lens bag they where to send me. so i had to swap out my nikon 70-200mm so can take to softball game. so look under sports for one picture i post from my face book page. 

Bobby18120

Bobby18120

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNEW JERSEY

The 200-500 is not a "pro" lens, thus the lack of weather proofing and the slower focus.  Look towards one of the primes or the 200-400 as other Nikon options.  The 200-500 however is a nice lens and I've seen some great images out of it.  Really depends on which one will work best for the shooting that you want to do.

I'm really disappointed by the performance
Maybe was human error! I used it twice and it won't gonna happened again...The results wasn't even close to average..But it's ok I'm planning to get a third job soon
I'm thinking an old 500mm AFS non vr from b&h or a Nikon 300mm 2.8 vr better play safe, right?!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

The 400 2.8 was the favorite that i rented...just couldn't afford even a decent used one.  Granted I did not try the 500.  I ended up going with the 200-400.  That was actually before the 200-500 so I have never tried the 200-500.  I have seen people shoot daytime sports with the 200-500 but mostly baseball / softball when you have the opportunity for pre-focus so the focus speed isn't as much of an issue.  I would not want to try night time sports with the Tamron or the 200-500.  My 200-400 f4 is pushing the envelope as it is.  

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag

if that lens did not give you want you wanted the try what tbonz said or try out one of third party 150-600mm i love my tamron 150-600mm a lot faster for auto focusing then my first gen 70-200mm just got get used to the zoom ring being little hard to move. do to fact tamron made so will not creep on you. so will not move so easy since its near front of and focusing ring is close to body. wish focus ring and zoom ring flipped do to fact so use to other way around on my first gen 70-200mm. best bet will be rent or find local camera store near you to try them out. 

Ray Bunyan

Ray Bunyan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNW Norfolk

I have the 200mm - 500mm couple of pictures using a D500 (DX) and a D810(FX)....

Egret0132shrunk
Album: mixed
3 images
0 comments

Egret0132shrunk
Album: mixed
3 images
0 comments