Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Low price / High price

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Airfix

Airfix

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouth Killingholme

I the past four to five months, I have been un-decided on which dslr, I like.  Yes I have been a Nikon person since film days.

I did buy an D200 camera and was very pleased with the results it gave, and had it for two years.  The only problem was the weight of the body.  The next was a D3000 then an a D90, backup.  I have now traded for an D5000.

Due to financial constraints all my DSLRS have been second hand, as is my lenses.  I seem to run round & round.  All the dslr I have owned have 10-12+ pixels.

I went around to My local Nikon dealer who said I should upgrade to an Nikon D7000 or higher which have 24 megapixels, is he right or should I stay with the lower megapixels???

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

I actually went down from 24MP to a 16MP M43 camera recently... didn't really notice much difference (I actually prefer working with the smaller images). But if you need to crop heavily or you print really big, the extra pixels can come in handy.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It isn't the 24 MP you want or need, it is the signal processor that accompanied those sensors that was the big change. The 12 MP sensor and processor in the D300, D90 and D300s generation of bodies struggle above about ISO 2000 unless you know exactly what you are doing, the D7100/D7200 are perfectly usable at ISO 12500, even if some tweaking in post can be necessary.

A good compromise between the nice and small size of the D5000 and a modern signal processor is the D5200. You get the 24 MP sensor, the same processor and focus module as in the D7000 and the swivel screen from the D5100 without spending *that* much.

leighgion

leighgion

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMadrid
Is there any concrete reason you can articulate as to why you want to trade in your D5000, or are you just restless and allowing your dealer to convince you to buy something new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

The need for more MPs should be related to what you want to do with the results, if you want to crop ok but you need good lenses to be able to crop much, if its for web presentation and the odd print i dont think you will see much difference.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

As an aside, the D7000 is a 16 megapixel camera. However, it's a very good performer and I don't hesitate to recommend it assuming that the price is right. That said, both the D7100 and D7200 are better cameras in almost every respect. 

--Ron