Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Spots

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

I'm seeing spots.  They look like dust or worse on the sensor.  However, I noticed that they appear much more pronounced and visible the lower my shutter speed.  In the photos below, the first was taken at 1/25" and the second one at 1/400".  If I zoom to 1:1 on my 29" monitor I can still see faint spots on the second image in the upper left corner but they don't look anything like the spots that are all over the first photo.

Anyone seen this before?  Do I just need to clean my sensor again?  What could cause these spots to be more or less visible depending on shutter speed?

500 8941

500 9151

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Yes, you should clean your sensor.

Dust and pollen on the sensor will always be more visible the more you close the aperture down. It is not surprising that many of them that are visible @f/32 have more or less disappeared @f/13.

This time of the year, I usually have to bring out the rocketblower at least twice per week to clean the sensors as the sensor shaker just isn't enough. The interval between wet cleans is usually 4-5 months for me.

• Ron likes this

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia
Thanks. I didn't think about pollen. It's been heavy here this spring. Time for a wet clean.