Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM - Sample Photos

50-500mm f4.5-6.3 apo dg

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

BeerBelly

BeerBelly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSlovenia

I take it you're satisfied with the lens then? Do you have any issues or problems with it? Even the smallest ones?

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Honestly no problems yet. The only time it hasn't worked as well as I'd like was when it was attached to the 2 x Teleconvertor (which I don't it's supposed to anyway). And even then, manual focusing resolved any issues.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag
It arrived today! And it's a monster! I think I better work out a bit. Still waiting for a filter for it, so I don't want to use it too much -- I can imagine myself scratching it by mistake.

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Get a shoulder strap that attaches to the tripod mount on the lens and then u can carry it around without having to hold the camera. Just a thought.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386626108.077626.jpg here is a pic of me with a shoulder strap for my zoom lenses.
Shoulder strap makes it easier to carry the lens around.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

Oh nice... I might have to look into that shoulder strap. I have the regular strap that comes with the but the Shoulder strap looks like it could make things easier.

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yup big difference because the weight of the lens is transferred to your should and not your hand or arm. For a lens that size it's a must.

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

What camera were you using for these shots? The D7000 or D600?

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

D600. I've only just recently gotten the D7000 and haven't taken any shots with it yet.

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Ok thanks for the info. Was asking because when I took shots with my 150-500mm lens and said it was too soft for me I was using my d800e and a guy that works at a camera store said my camera was to much for the lens. He said the d800e will bring out flaws in some lenses because it is so sharp and the resolution is high and an older camera would work better with the lens he said. I don't know if this is true or not but your shots are sharper then mine.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag
Can you post a link to a strap like that? I can't figure out how it offloads on your shoulder.

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Ok I'll find a link for you. It doesn't support the lens while your actually taking a picture, just when you are walking or lugging it around and doesn't put any weight or stress on the camera body it's self just the lens because if you carry the load of the lens through the camera body you might damage it as well as it puts the Entire load weight of the camera and lens on your shoulder.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks, definitely want to check out that shoulder strap.

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Here's a couple of links about the black rapid strap that I have, hopes this helps. One link is from Fro and he knows photo...

The second video shows you how to connect the strap to some lenses with the built in tripod mount..

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag
Weirdly timely review of the strap:

BlackRapid Sport Camera Strap Review

Probably will pick one up!

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Thanks, definitely want to check out that shoulder strap.

I have been using the blackrapid strap for over a month now and it is excellent. I also purchased an additional screw so that I could have it on my spare D40. I also purchased a tether kit, which offers extra security along with a Manfrotto quick release plate RC2 for my tripod. I think this is a great piece of kit, not cheap but worth the money, when you consider what dropping your camera will cost.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for all the suggestions.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

How does the tether kit work, Tony?

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

The trap adds additional security, in that the camera is attached to the strap at the fixing point underneath (tripod connection point), but you also have the extra strap secured to the normal camera strap point on the left hand side of the camera and it then attached to the shackle at the end of the strap. I think the attached images may help to show it better.
In the unlikely event that the securing point underneath the camera unscrews, the camera is still attached. But the other time I think it will be helpful is when I am using my tripod. It means that I would first unshackle from underneath camera and then connect to tripod, however, all the time I am doing that my camera is still attached to the shoulder strap.

Attached Thumbnails

• strap image 1.jpg
  • strap image 2.jpg

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I want one! 

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

Just bought a double shoulder strap (I have 2 cameras now) from ebay for $14.99 including delivery. BOOM!