Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Focus Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

FavoriteSmooch

FavoriteSmooch

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm still learning all about my d500. I shot a rodeo in February using a Tamron 70-200mm with no problems whatsoever. I didn't pay much attention to any of the in depth setting because everything looked great. No blur whatsoever no matter what event. I shot the same group of kids this last weekend and got tons of blur on the moving animals but the background was perfectly in focus. This was an indoor arena with low light as opposed to an outside arena in February. I did get several that were spot on. I've noticed that the closer I zoom in to 200mm the fuzzier the image gets. Not terrible but I notice it. Is it my lens? Is it my focus point settings? Is it that I need new bifocals and I wasn't paying attention? The low settings to accommodate for the light? All the above? There is another event at this same arena next weekend and I'd like to get a few pictures from that event without all the blur. Any help is appreciated and thank you.  I've attached a couple of samples....I need to focus faster and I'm sure I have something set wrong.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_4123.JPG
  • DSC_4125.JPG

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I am guessing from what you have posted that you are shooting in Program mode, thus not selecting the settings yourself.  It would help to know what your settings were outside vs. inside.  First off, it is probably not your lens.  Other than that, there are several possibilities, as you indicated above.  Most likely the indoor shots used too slow a shutter speed to stop the motion.  It may be focus point but it is really hard to tell without knowing the settings (Focus as well as Shutter, Aperture and ISO).  You will want a high shutter speed to stop motion with action shots anyway, so you might want to consider shooting manually.  

dem

dem

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag

It looks like the combination of camera shake and motion blur both due to a slow shutter speed.

Is the image stabilisation ON?

Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD SP Image Stabilization Test

What is the shutter speed? Even if you are shooting from a tripod, you need a fast shutter speed to stop motion blur (the horse is moving, right?)