Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lens Filter

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Johnb

Johnb

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNear Aylesbury. Bucks

Site Supporter

Is it advisable to keep a filter screwed permanently to the lens for protection and if yes, would you recommend a UV or something else.

Also, can you use a UV and CPL filters together.  

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
Age ol' question... lots of arguments.

If you're using quality glass, putting cheap glass in front of it will degrade image quality. Putting quality glass in front of it still may cause issues in tricky light (i.e. more flare into the sun).

With that said, I keep a UV on pretty much as a lens cap... it prevents me from having to clean the front element all the time, and is fine for snapshots. If I'm trying to take serious images (RAW vs jpeg) it usually comes off.

Stacking filters is sometimes necessary, although not ideal. Vignetting and general degradation of contrast and color can occur.

Depending on the quality of your lens and camera, the filters, and the scene/light, said degradation can be anywhere from almost imperceptible, to that of ruining the shot. YMMV

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
... as Scott already mentioned

+

If it is to protect only, then limit the number of filters; i.e. combining UV (basically useless, as the sensor on modern DSLRs filters UV anyway) with CPL increases the negative impact of the filters, with no extra protection.

As protection I use the lens hood that fits to the lens, but no filter.
Unless you have a choc coming straight from the front I feel that this gives an even better protection.

Wayben

Wayben

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationIowa

Site Supporter

Like Scott I keep a filter on at almost all times to minimize having to clean the front element of the lens.  I'd rather get grit and munge on a filter than the front element.  On paper adding another glass element will degrade the image, but in practice it seldom makes any discernible difference.  Where it can is a flair situation and then it is easy to remove the filter to take the shot.

Wayne

Johnb

Johnb

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNear Aylesbury. Bucks

Site Supporter

Thanks guys. I will keep the UV on then I think and see how it goes, and no stacking. Cheers

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I know some folks who leave a filter (usually UV or Haze) on their lenses and some who do not.  I have seen a filter save a lens from damage.  If I were doing studio work or shooting at a particular location I would probably not have a filter on my lens.  When shooting sports with all the potential impacts from weather - rain, snow, wind and dust, mud, etc. - I keep a filter on each lens for protection.  Nikon actually shipped my 200-400 (which has a filter drawer) with an external filter to protect the front element.  I doubt you will see any issues with image quality if you purchase a decent filter.  

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

There are two situations when a filter can become a problem.

The first is when shooting against the light, where you can get veiling flare just as Scott warned.

The other is when shooting something well lit or a light source at night when the dark background turns the filter into a mirror and the light parts that have been reflected from the sensor bounces back into the lens again from the filter producing ghost images.

There are even better protective filters today when the UV protection is omitted. https://www.bhphotov...ar.html?sts=pi

The UV protection made for better photos in the film days, but there is an UV cut filter in front of the sensor already.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

i only keep my filter on to protect the lens when at home or out taking action shots or wildlife or portraits when elements will effect the lens. if in place where no elements around take filter off. since do not need. since i mostly do surfing, soccer paintball baseball and softball i have to leave filter on since action sports. if doing wildlife depends on place if in woods no but out in open yes. you find out when it best to have filter and when not need filter.