Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need assistance on what to do about blown out color.

need assistance blown color

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

I had believed that when I upgraded from a Nikon D70 to a Nikon D200 that I would no longer have issues with blown out colors.  I am not really certain on how to prevent this from happening.  I thought perhaps if I were to stop down a half stop or even less, this may be avoided in the future.

Here is the photo.  Please feel free to offer any suggestions or helpful hints.

Greatly appreciated.

tony

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0092.JPG

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia

I'm no expert, but I would try 1) stop down -1 or even more and see what you get, 2) try spot metering or 3) fix it in post processing.  To my untrained eye, highlights on the petals are more the issue here than the color.  Nice photo, though.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you have a darker background, the meter will try to turn that into a medium exposure. To learn How the meter works in different situations, shoot some bracketed series’ and analyze what compensation factors worked best.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

If you have a darker background, the meter will try to turn that into a medium exposure. To learn How the meter works in different situations, shoot some bracketed series’ and analyze what compensation factors worked best.

I will do exactly that and thanks again for your help.  TT

I'm no expert, but I would try 1) stop down -1 or even more and see what you get, 2) try spot metering or 3) fix it in post processing.  To my untrained eye, highlights on the petals are more the issue here than the color.  Nice photo, though.

Okay, thank you for your help.

TT

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: need, assistance, blown, color