Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ideal aperture

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

From my recent testing of my lenses with Reikan Focal I have yet to find one that has a sweet spot higher than f5.6. Although I have yet to actually test all of my lenses. So I am wondering if the old thought that lenses were best at f8 is still valid? 

Here are two of the graphs I have available. The first is the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC lens. I can't remember what focal length I used for this testing now. It's on the report.... Was tested at 70mm.

Tamron 24-70 VC Sharpness.JPG

This one is the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 G2 at 200mm.

Tamron 70-200 G2 Sharpness.JPG

All lenses will of course be slightly different. But it is interesting to see the actual sharpness of a lens and the point where diffraction kicks in. Not sure if it changes anything, but these were tested on a D810.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

A very dense sensor will show diffraction earlier than film or a less dense sensor. The sweet spot, even on 12 MP FX is more often @f/6.3 or f/7.1 than @f/8-11 on modern, quality optics.

The subtleties when diffraction starts to show is often masked with film, and the perceived sharpness goes up even after diffraction has set in.

I am not at all surprised by your results.