Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is it possible to change shutter counter?

shutter counter d7100 serial number

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

guillermo_arp

guillermo_arp

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I sent my Nikon D7100 for repairs: It had serious front focus issue. They told me that the autofocus sensor needed to be replaced so they did. I got my camera back and noticed more front-focus problems and some other focus related issues. I contacted the tech guys and asked me to send my camera back once again so they would check whats wrong.

My Spider Senses got activated, So I made a shutter counter test.. Took a photo and It showed over 100,000 actuations. I looked for a picture from BEFORE I send it over to them and it only had 15,000 cycles. This is BAD.

I checked the body and the serial number and this was indeed my camera, at least on the outside. I downloaded ExifPro 2.1 and NEW photos read serial number 2450129, old photos read 9409759. Apparently my camera was recording data from another, very old equipment.  So I became suspicious, maybe they removed the innards from my camera, used them as spares, and gave me old guts from another camera. 

I talked to them and asked for an explanation, long story short: "The technician claims that it is possible to set the shutter or the serial number to any value by means of software. In my case, it is very likely that OLD DATA FROM THE CALIBRATION EQUIPMENT replaced what was in my D7100 (Something like cloning a hard drive I supposed)".  He is asking for my camera once again. They will change the WHOLE mirror box (due to the front focus issue) and will give me a new shutter free of charge. 

Why a new shutter? (If they didn't change any hardware, then,  there should not be any need to replace it, just reset the value. But... ok... let's do it and be done with it).

Here I ask you guys... Is it possible to reset Shutter Counter and the Serial number on the EXIF by means of software??

BTW: They are not a NIKON dealer. Where I live Nikon official service is a piece of POO, actually they might be responsible for my front focus issue. 

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

It certainly sounds like they have used secondhand parts or the repair, hope you get a better result next time.

Colin B

Colin B

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPerth Western SAustralia

I am not a technical expert but my spider senses are picking up a strong whiff of B.S. from their answer.

I would run, not walk, to the nearest official Nikon dealer, or the next nearest one if your local is no good and have them examine the camera. If the guts have indeed been swapped out without you being informed I would say you have a pretty strong case to claim a full refund and compensation from the dodgy repairers.

I don't know about Canadian law but here in Australia we have consumer protection laws which would also cause these people a lot of pain if they were invoked.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shutter counter, d7100, serial number