Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Retro FF Nikon?

poll retro full-frame

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: At what price is the Retro Nikon attractive to you?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

At what price is the Retro Nikon attractive to you?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Nesster

Nesster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Site Supporter

With the announcement of a Retro Full Frame Nikon with 50mm Lens supposedly coming up in the next 2 weeks... I wonder at what price people want one, or at all?

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
For me has to be $1500 or less or have some amazing spec. But I won't buy it unless it's a budget model. However the latest Nixon rumours post suggests a $3000 price point. In instantly uninterested

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag
I am not interested in another large camera, one is enough. This camera sounds fun, but it is not for me unless they give them away. I need more glass.

activeirish

activeirish

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
I think it's a good idea except for the fixed 50mm lens?
If Nikon want to make a camera to blow the mind regarding photo quality and price they should make a large format camera with a 120mm sensor with auto and manual focus options and come with just 2 lenses specially made to cover the 120mm sensor, an 18 - 50mm f:1.4 and maybe an 18 - 120mm f:2.0
No auto setting like shutter/aperture priority or program etc
Just a solid body, big sensor, large apertures and use CF cards.
By keeping it mostly manual and not requiring as much software and programming they can keep it simple, reliable and reasonably priced yet nothing would match it for photo quality.

Nesster

Nesster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

$3,000! At that price who are the customers, apart from hedge fund guys and rich celebrities?

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

If Nikon want to make a camera to blow the mind regarding photo quality and price they should make a large format camera with a 120mm sensor with auto and manual focus options and come with just 2 lenses specially made to cover the 120mm sensor, an 18 - 50mm f:1.4 and maybe an 18 - 120mm f:2.0
By keeping it mostly manual and not requiring as much software and programming they can keep it simple, reliable and reasonably priced yet nothing would match it for photo quality.

That would only be used by studio photographers though, so it would have a limited appeal.

KEONE808

KEONE808

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

What is a full frame camera?

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Never mind what is a full frame camera, can someone define a 'retro' camera? Bet I am not the only person out there thinking that question!

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Full Frame means a sensor that is the same size as the old 35mm frame, as I understand it. 

foto guy

foto guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationConnecticut

Full Frame means a sensor that is the same size as the old 35mm frame, as I understand it. 

That's correct.

Though I always thought the term was rather silly.

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag
Seems to me that it will appeal to collectors, mainly.

Nesster

Nesster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Nikon-DSLR-size-compariosn.pngRetro means it looks something like what film cameras looked like

Nikon-F3-film-camera.jpg

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

I think it will sell quite well as long as the price is kept reasonable and doesnt go towards leica costs. traditional film users may feel more at home with an older style body than say a d4 or d800

the swede

the swede

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

teaser

Warrick

Warrick

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

hmm did he take a photo or was that the sound it made when he stepped on it lol, damn you teaser ads haha

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

That was a sucky ad. 

the swede

the swede

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

That was a sucky ad.

Nice video though :P

the swede

the swede

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Not interested unless it's mega cheap. Looks like Nikon are aiming for a limited "gadget hungry" market and trying to come up with something new.

Instead of trying to make a camera "retro". Think they should concentrate on delivering new lenses and accessories for existing models at a cheaper price. 

Think this model may be a hasslblad retro wannabe. 

uzimakiroar

uzimakiroar

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCity of Angels

Images are up and I love its design. Plus I also love the layout and how all my controls are via a dial. In truth, I'm looking for a new camera. While I love my D800s, it's a BEAST. Huge files. Big Camera. Just a bit much for an everyday( yes...I carry a camera everywhere I go )camera. I love that it is a 16mp camera( surely not a 32mp monster ) and that it won't eat up all my HD . I wish it was 12mp camera like my old D700( but the extra 4mp will be a nice improvement for IQ ) but not a D700( I just want a new new... ). If I have to buy a D700 again, I will. Because....( I'm going to sound traitor-ish ), I would love to add a KATZ-EYE so I can manually focus with a split screen and use my Leica lenses. I have this gorgeous 80mm Summilux lens that I love( even more than my 85mm ). 

So bottom line...super excited. I hope it does amazingly well so that Nikon doesn't fall into those crazy rumors of a camera company that shut down. In truth...I hope all camera companies do well. Nikon, Leica, Canon, Olympus, Fuji, all of them, I love my passion and would love to continue to share it with the world with the camera companies that I have grew up with. 

From what I have been reading ..... it is not a fixed 50mm 1.8. It is a interchangeable Lens Camera. So all our glass can be used. Even our old non AI.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 8.23.57 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 8.23.47 AM.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poll, retro, full-frame