Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon D3400 HDMI Type-C question

3400d d3400 auto-off auto off timer hdmi type-c disable capture

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

JackMundo

JackMundo

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello, I am new here! Question is on the lower part of the thread in bold. The next part is basically filler. :P

Now, I own the D3400, which oddly is objectively inferior to the D3300 despite the fact it's newer. So, I want to do some light videography and (again) one thing Nikon removed from the D3400 is a mic port.

I am very new to photography, and I use my 3400D primarily as a photo camera! But I would really like to have better mic quality for light video captures.

So, I already own a HDMI capture card and wish to use the HDMI Type-C output of the D3400 as means of recording through software on my PC. This means I can use my much higher quality condenser microphone as audio input, while also having my DSLR as video input. And, I can use software for post-processing; adding live images, text, and various filters.

The question is, will using the HDMI Type-C output on my Nikon 3400D disable the live-preview auto off timer?

I have spent 2 hours on Google, looking up user manuals, browsing forums and watching small YouTube video tutorials and none have the answer!

Essentially, will the camera cut off video data through HDMI to preserve battery life? Or will my screen fall asleep on the currently configured 30-min auto-off timer?

It'd be a genuine pain to have to manually interact with the camera every 30 minutes!

Thanks for reading, and of course and answer is greatly appreciated!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3400d, d3400, auto-off, auto, off, timer, hdmi, type-c, disable, capture