Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lens Compatibility with Nikkormat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

timw4mail

timw4mail

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

What series of lenses are compatible with the Nikkormats?

Are any lenses with an aperture ring and the aperture indexing tab incompatible?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

That depends on the version of Nikkormat. The FT3 and EL2 need Ai or newer lenses with an aperture ring. Earlier Nikkormats are fully compatible with any lens with the rabbit ears, even if they are Ai or Ai-S, or even AF lenses if they have been modified with rabbit ears.

timw4mail

timw4mail

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

That depends on the version of Nikkormat. The FT3 and EL2 need Ai or newer lenses with an aperture ring. Earlier Nikkormats are fully compatible with any lens with the rabbit ears, even if they are Ai or Ai-S, or even AF lenses if they have been modified with rabbit ears.

So, with the FT2, any Nikon lens with rabbit ears will work? Cool.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Even lenses without the ears will work, but you will not have the convenience of metering wide open. I don't remember if stop-down metering works on the FT2, but I think it does. If it does, even the 2.1 cm f/4 works without having to use a hand-held meter.

The Nikkormats are the last non-pro bodies that work with lenses that need a mechanical mirror lock-up not to break the mirror. With stop-down metering, all Nikkors and F-mount compatibles with an aperture ring work, including lots of AF lenses.

timw4mail

timw4mail

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

Even lenses without the ears will work, but you will not have the convenience of metering wide open. I don't remember if stop-down metering works on the FT2, but I think it does. If it does, even the 2.1 cm f/4 works without having to use a hand-held meter.

The Nikkormats are the last non-pro bodies that work with lenses that need a mechanical mirror lock-up not to break the mirror. With stop-down metering, all Nikkors and F-mount compatibles with an aperture ring work, including lots of AF lenses.

Looking elsewhere, it seems that stop-down metering works by using the DOF preview button.

So it seems then, that for the Nikkormat FT2, any F-mount lens with an aperture ring will work.