Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fx Lens on a Dx and effects on aperture

aperature full frame crop sensor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

dkelly61

dkelly61

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I am a complete newby to photography and low budget is definitely a must. I recently purchased a D5100 to start taking pictures of my daughter at horse shows. My point and shoot just wouldn't handle the poor lighting in indoor arenas. I currently use a Nikon 55-200 DX ED 4-5.6G which works pretty well as I do a lot of panning shots with a slower shutter speed. The ISO has to be cranked to do faster shutter speeds however. I have been looking for a faster lens. I have a chance to buy a Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF. My question has to do with aperture. When researching online  how well a FX lens works on a DX, I read that the aperture value has to be multiplied by the crop factor(just like the focal length.) Is this true? I can pick up the Tamron for $550 which seems like a good deal. If the lens doesn't end up being faster then it won't suit my purpose for getting it. So will a  full frame 2.8 lens be as fast on a crop sensor body? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0362.jpg

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

The aperture does not change at all.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The aperture does not change, but the depth of field does. You will get more DOF with the same lens at the same aperture on DX than on FX.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aperature, full frame, crop sensor