Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

F4 alert light

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

mbcx

mbcx

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationin the south

Site Supporter

Got a new to me 24-85 AF lens and was trying it out ,getting use to it and notice that when I took a shot that the shutter release would not work for a few seconds. Notice that the red light next to the film winder knob was flashing and couldn't take another picture until it stop. The flim advance and the camera would focus for the next shot but the shutter release would not work. Look every where and couldn't find any info, the manual only refers to something abnormal happened or it blinks when rewinding the film. Could someone help me with this? 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It is usually related to the camera not reading the DX code on the film canister. You might try setting the ISO/ASA manually.

mbcx

mbcx

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationin the south

Site Supporter

Thanks, I'll check that next time.

MichaelMyers

MichaelMyers

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMiami and India

Is it better to use the DX Code, or to just manually set the ASA?

I forgot what "DX Code" was or did, until I started re-reading my manual on the F4.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I usually set the ISO manually in my F4E. This was mostly because I loaded my own canisters with black and white film and rated E100VS and Provia 100F @ ISO 80.

There is always the risk of forgetting to change ISO when changing film, but I like to be in control.

MichaelMyers

MichaelMyers

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag

You wrote "loaded", as in past tense.  Do you no longer use the F4E, or do you no longer load your own film?  

I used to load my own film, but this is well over half a century ago when all I (could afford to) shoot was B&W.  Then color film put an end to that.

I've now got two F4 bodies - maybe one will be for B&W, and the other for color, once I decide which color film to buy.

It's been too long - I don't remember ever knowing about DX Code.  Probably my memory..... or lack of.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I don't load my own anymore. I don't shoot enough film for it to be reasonable. I mostly use digital today, even if I have kept an FE2 and one F4E.

MichaelMyers

MichaelMyers

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag

Curious, what pleases you more when you're seeing the end results, files from the F4 or files from your digital cameras?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Curious, what pleases you more when you're seeing the end results, files from the F4 or files from your digital cameras?

That's difficult to answer as the transition to digital was, at least mostly, a matter of cost and convenience.

I landed a gig with an importer of tools and motorcycle parts to produce the photos for their yearly catalog and the deadline was simply too tight for analog work. My first digitals were a Kodak DCS 760 and its monochrome companion, the DCS 760M. That first year, I think I shot about 50000 items over the span of 5 weeks. All tools had to be shot in both B&W and colour as the AD couldn't predict what would end up in the colour section of the catalog. Monochrome conversions were not an alternative for print yet as the software was still very primitive 20 years ago.

Ever since I got my first D700, film has been infrequent as the D700 files can yield results similar to Ektachrome 100 in colour, but with ISO 1600 or so and similar to Ilford PanF, but with ISO 3200. Film was always just a starting point for the final print, whether on Ilford Galerie or on P 30 material. My current digitals have even bigger DR and lower noise levels than the D700.

I shoot more 120 than 135 as film still has advantages in larger sizes. 

The F4 is more nostalgia than practical today but I still miss the ergonomics and how easy and intuitive it is to use. One extra reason to shoot more digital is that I moved house a year ago and don't have the room available for a darkroom anymore. In the last 10 years, I have shot less film in each year than I did every day 30 years ago.