Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Displaying lens distance setting in liveview with D850

distance distance measuring liveview display d850 info to display

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

fdormoy

fdormoy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCanada, Quebec, Piedmont

I have  a D850 and I am wondering if it is possible to display in the live view LCD information of the distance in metric set for the lens (say, focusing made at 3.5 meters) so that we can easily calculate the depth of field with aperture is set to f8 or f2.8 or f22?

If yes, how to do it ?

It looks like this data is not shown in the Metadata of the photo.  Does that mean we cant have this info displayed anywhere in the camera ?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The distance information is there in the raw data, presented in nanometer. It is tagged with aux in how PS presents the metadata. Why do you need more precise distance information than what the distance scale on the lens gives? The DOF is dependent on the end use anyway as the CoC is affected by both reproduction scale and viewing distance. The distance information is sent to the body for more precise flash metering, no other use AFAIK.

fdormoy

fdormoy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Country Flag

The distance scale shown on lenses, in particular the Nikkor 24-70mm, is very rought, approximate.  What I need is an indicator of the distance shown to the place where I made the focus so that I can use an Iphone application which indicates, for a given aperture (f11 for example) and that distance, what is the closest range and farthest range for which the photo is in focus.  It would help me to determine if the focus point should be made just in the main point of interest of the picture, or a little bit closer so as to extend the focusing range to encompass more things closer to the camera, whilst keeping the point of interest still in focus.

I have not seen distance data in the Metadata when using Lightroom.  May be it is shown in PS, but this would not be useful to me since I need to take the photo BEFORE checking this distance and than access PS to read it (not quite practical).  I would need to see it in real time as a displayed feature in the live view screen.

I understand from a more recent reading, that only Class D lenses can offer this information, but will it eanble to display it in the nikon D850 live view screen?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

D or later. The G-type lenses transmit the distance information too. As it is meant only for internal calculations for flash exposure, Nikon don't see a use for displaying the value.

The DOF presented in the iPhone apps is a very approximate value, however many decimals the app presents, as the CoC used in the calculations is selected using a very rough model. To get predictable results, you have to shoot more and learn how each lens behaves in different situations. You will get wildly different pictorial results if you use a 14-24, 24-70, 24/1.8 or 24/1.4 even if you set them all to 24 mm, focus them on the same point and use f/2.8. Besides the reproduction scale and the viewing distance, the character of the transition from sharp to unsharp has a huge impact on the perceived DOF.

The distance is, by the way a secondary factor... The primary is the magnification scale, not the distance itself. The scale is calculated using the distance and focal length. With an internally focusing or close range corrected lens, the focal length is shorter than the nominal as soon as the lens isn't focused on infinity.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

The distance scale shown on lenses, in particular the Nikkor 24-70mm, is very rought, approximate. What I need is an indicator of the distance shown to the place where I made the focus so that I can use an Iphone application which indicates, for a given aperture (f11 for example) and that distance, what is the closest range and farthest range for which the photo is in focus.

As Peter has pointed out, all of it is rough and approximate, including DOF calculations, which like so many "rules" that were originally tempered for film/prints and simple glass, need a rethink given modern hi-rez digital.

Bottom line is I think you'll find the physical distance scale adequate for a starting point with DOF calculations, as long as you error on the side of caution (which IMHO is necessary now a days), and are mindful of your lens' diffraction characteristics.

But even if you had the exact distance, I wouldn't count on DOF calcs for any critical focus as you simply won't get it under too many circumstances. If there are multiple planes you need in focus, ideally take multiple shots with different focus points and stack. Of course this requires some post, and more often than not a tripod, but anything else is only an approximation which will take experience to master.

Of course, if you are doing full sensor output to 8x10 prints hung on a wall, the approximations will probably stand up, but for cropping and/or large prints you'll most likely want more precision. I know I do, and I don't shoot anywhere near 45Mp.

fdormoy

fdormoy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Country Flag

I understand.  So, only when focus range in landscape photography is an important issue, I can use the Focus stacking function which is available on the D850 with a tripod.  I tested it for macro photos with non moving objects and this is fantastic.  However, for landscape, this is possible only if the subjects are not moving (water, trees and clouds  in a windy situation, animals etc.).  Or alternatively, I can close the aperture further to be in the range of f16-22, provided that it does not reach the limit of lens quality (chromatic aberration).

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Not CA, but diffraction... It is another thing altogether. Shooting to determine the diffraction limits of your system (lens + sensor) is the only legitimate use for Siemens stars for a photographer as opposed to a tester.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

I can use the Focus stacking ... However, for landscape, this is possible only if the subjects are not moving (water, trees and clouds  in a windy situation, animals etc.).

Well, from purely an aesthetic argument, the softening of moving water and clouds can be a pleasing effect... one that conveys natural motion, and is frequently used via long exposures. Animals and windy trees are different beasts however.

Or alternatively, I can close the aperture further to be in the range of f16-22.

Apertures in that range will usually soften the image due to What Is Lens Diffraction?. It's up to you to determine what is acceptable image quality. Shooting a square textured plane like a brick wall or chart at various apertures is a good test to determine just where the softness starts to creep in with any particular lens.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: distance, distance measuring, liveview display, d850, info to display