Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best settings of D850 for infrared photography

d850 infrared special effects

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

fdormoy

fdormoy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCanada, Quebec, Piedmont

What would be the best settings for the D850 to exploit Infrared filters (Hoya 77mm R72 Infrared Filter) and have effects of white trees ?  In other words does this camera provide any advantages to make this kind of infrared pictures?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

AFAIK, the D850 continues the progression of better and better cutoff filters to eliminate IR blooming. The newer the body, the worse it is as a candidate for invisible light captures without modifying the filter pack on the sensor.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Peter is right. Newer cameras aren't usually good candidates for shooting IR without modification. And, the mods will void your warranty (if that's important to you).

Most of the people who shoot a lot of IR tell me that they've purchased a used body and had that modified by removing the cutoff filter from in front of the imaging sensor and had it replaced with a special filter that passes mostly or only IR light. This allows them to view and focus through the viewfinder as though there were no IR filter mounted at all.

On the other hand, you can sometimes simulate the IR look in post (with varying amounts of success). 

--Ron

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
I am not sure whether the D850 alllows to offer benefits for taking infrared captures with these filters, neither what the result will be.

The filter will only let pass light of a limited frequency, so if the filter only lets pass infrared but the filter on the sensor blocks in a second step this extra light the result will be a black picture.

Some years ago a forum member (I think it was @Thumper) has posted some captures of « infrared » pictures taken with filters - if I remember fine he mentioned that using the filters was having some manipulations required as they blocked most of the light (thereby requiring to frame and focus before mounting the infrared filter) - similar to strong ND filters.

When I investigated in infrared capturing, I bought a used D90 with a modified sensor - this allows to give real interesting captures. Here are a few taken with that camera

7d0953da4fdb783471d5c1203bd1a0f0.jpg

ca62737eaf915be77916d97b081fa687.jpg

3d7d06a6becaf00bcae277d9119a1c07.jpg

ee7bac0b95b16f7bf9c9c3b01dbd739e.jpg

2cf510d568da1dc4e14f052b8fefc6fa.jpg

fdormoy

fdormoy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCanada, Quebec, Piedmont

Very useful comments I got here from you guys.  So I am not going to buy the IR filters for my D850.

There are many more special effects we can exploit to make unusual pictures with that camera.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d850, infrared, special effects