Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D610 + Rokinon 14mm = timelapse flickering

timelapse

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Like I said in post #17, set f5 to Aperture ring to control the aperture mechanically with the ring instead of electronically with the dial to get the most consistent exposures.

When you shoot wide open, the aperture will be absolutely locked and can't get anywhere. This would eliminate the aperture as a factor for the flicker.

The arm on the lens looks all right, have you looked at the arm in the body? Have you tested the lens for a sticky aperture yet?

saturno

saturno

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello Merco_61

Well, I must say I'm feeling happy now.  I didn't understand well in message 17 but now I went to f5 and I made what you said.  So, now I control the aperture in the ring.

I thought this was not possible! When I bought the lens I read somewhere that was supposed to leave the lens always in f22 and control through the body!

So I changed it and made three timelapses tests some minutes ago: one at f2.8, another one at f8 and a last one at f22

All seem to work fine! No flickering!

I hope that it will continue to work well at night. I will see that in some hours.

If this works, you, Merco_61, you saved my trip!

You can not imagine how grateful I am for your help. Seriously. You are a good man. Thank you very much!

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sorry I was absent and missed all the excitement--looks like you all got it figured out though. You do need to leave the lens in f22 to mount it and get it set up (I didn't know this when I first got the lens and had some very frustrating times with it), but you can definitely change it after that. I really like my little Rokinon 14mm--I hope you do too, saturno. 

At first glance, I was wondering if the camera had accidentally been set to bracket, but it seems that wasn't the problem at all. Good detective work.

saturno, I hope you'll share the results of your expedition--we'd love to see the timelapses you come up with.

• Ron likes this

saturno

saturno

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

Sorry I was absent and missed all the excitement--looks like you all got it figured out though. You do need to leave the lens in f22 to mount it and get it set up (I didn't know this when I first got the lens and had some very frustrating times with it), but you can definitely change it after that. I really like my little Rokinon 14mm--I hope you do too, saturno. 

At first glance, I was wondering if the camera had accidentally been set to bracket, but it seems that wasn't the problem at all. Good detective work.

saturno, I hope you'll share the results of your expedition--we'd love to see the timelapses you come up with.

Hello nbanjogal, thanks for your reply. :)

Well, the timelapses are really much better BUT sometimes they still do the flickering. I'm thinking about that "the camera had accidentally been set to bracke" and trying to understand what are the right settings to have on that. Do you have idea?

Thank you so much.

Yes, of course I will share the results, I'm still trying to catch some more aurora borealis before this seasons ends (next week!).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: timelapse