Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Prime lens V Zoom lens

starting again

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Airfix

Airfix

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSouth Killingholme

Hello all.

I think I have started to run before I can walk.  Been away from photography for a few years.  So I am a bit rusty, and bought an secondhand Nikon D200 and a 28-100mm lens.  maybe I should have invested in a prime lens of 50mm or 85mm, and got back to the basics of picture taking, and trying to use manual instead of shutter or aperture priority.

As anyone got advice on which prime lens I need.  I used to use film Nikons and had no problems, but now its all digital.  

David

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The 28-100 is a bit long at the wide end on a DX sensor.

What lenses did you use on the FE2?

If you used to have the 35-50-105 kit, a 24-35-85 set will probably work for you. If you used the 28-50-85 set, a 20-35-50 set is probably better. I would start with a 35/1.8 as a first prime, just like we started with a 50 as a first lens in the film days. The more expensive FX version handles shooting against the light slightly better and has less distortion than the DX version, but the difference isn't too great.

I shot with the FX for a week on a DX body the week ending March 18. One week, one camera, one lens week ending March 18 2018 - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com

I used the DX on the same body the next week, ending March 25. One week, one camera, one lens week ending March 25 2018 - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com

I used the AF 50/1.8D the week ending February 25. One week, one camera, one lens week ending February 25 2018 - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com

I used the AF 85/1.8D for two weeks, ending February 18. One week, one camera, one lens week ending February 11 2018 - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com and One week, one camera, one lens week ending February 18 2018 - Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games - NikonForums.com

Airfix

Airfix

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Morning to you.

It was so long ago that I used a film Nikon FE2, I cannot remember which lens.  What I am trying to do is get away from zoom lenses (which I have one lens, Nikkor 28-100 1.3.-5.6), to sharpen My basic skills. I am running on a low budget, so it would be a secondhand prime lens.

I am using an D200 camera, so it would take most if not all AF lenses, as the autofocus drive is in the body.  I am trying to shoot street scenes  and general types of pictures.

Any help/surgestions would help

David.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The AF-S DX 35/1.8G is a good first prime, usable for street and cheap enough new that you probably won't have to look for a used one.

Nikon 35mm f1.8 G AF-S DX Lens | Wex Photo Video You can probably find it cheaper than Wex, but that is a good starting point.

It has been around since 2009, so not impossible to find used.

The AF 35/2D sounds like a well worn tractor when the AF is working and isn't up to the demands of digital. The old 8-element manual focus 35/2-s are much better. The old ones to look for are the O, O•C, K and Ai versions, the Ai-S is only 120° from infinity to close focus, so it is difficult to focus precisely on the bright focusing screen of a digital camera. Pre-Ai versions need to be converted to Ai before you try to mount the lens on your D200.

The 24/2.8 Ai is a *very* good lens for street and much better optically than the AF versions. Again, the Ai-S is trickier to focus.

The AF 50/1.8D works well as a general portrait lens, but I feel the distance needed because of the field of view makes the photographer a viewer rather than a part of the street. You simply don't get the same presence you get with a 35, 24 or even shorter lens. There has been some discussion about the difference between the AF and the newer AF-S version over the years, so a search might be useful.

Airfix

Airfix

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for your advice.  I am now looking into a 

Nikon 35mm f1.8 G AF-S DX Lens. I do believe that using prime lenses will sharpen My photographic skills, and make Me think more about composition.  There again prime lenses are much faster than zoom so I should be better in lower light.  

David.