Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3300 flash pops up when it shouldn't...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Hogweed

Hogweed

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi all, my first post here, and thanks for providing the forum.

I bought a used D3300 from eBay, apparently in excellent condition. I’ve only just started experimenting with it, but already have a problem. Every time I apply light pressure to the shutter button, the flash pops up – even outside in bright sunlight.

I have read one similar post here, and the expert who answered was of the opinion that this was kind of expected behaviour in Auto mode, and not to use it. I can see the sense of not using Auto in a camera like this, and doubtless when I get used to the transition from compact to SLR I’ll agree… but what I’m concerned about now is whether the camera may be faulty, in which case obviously I’d need to send it back.

Can anybody tell me definitively if this is normal behaviour for the D3300?

Very grateful, thanks  :D

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

The green Auto mode tells the camera you want it to decide everything, including popping up the flash if it thinks it needs it. Change to P mode where you will still get auto exposure controlling shutter and aperture, but it won't automatically engage the flash.