Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Advertising.

inyoni advertising d750

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

I've been playing around with some ideas on how to market myself and my photography. Thinking about what attracts us to big advertising campaigns, big bold images and catchy tag lines.
The trend these days is for a very minimal start with just an image and a tag line, nothing to say what the product is or even where to go look for whatever it is.
Here's my first "Advert/commercial".

Attached Thumbnails

• 299d3e07-1ca8-4120-8f05-767661160ff3-original.jpeg

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

...and you're looking for opinions on your ad or just saying/showing?

Btw, that's a really nice image.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

...and you're looking for opinions on your ad or just saying/showing?

Btw, that's a really nice image.

Thanks Malice,
Any opinions, advice, good or bad is always welcome. Just put it on here to let everyone see.
Thanks
Rob

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Admittedly, I'm not a marketing/advertising expert, so just some general thoughts, which need to be taken with at least a grain of salt...

The image you've chosen is a big dark considering your tag line and your own requirements of "big bold images". It's a nice image, but it's rather one, where you need a little time to sink into the mood. In my opinion, it's not really "jumping" at the viewer in a "Look at me! Here I am!" kind of sense. Regarding the "bringing the word to life", something a bit more vivid with stronger primary colors might make it easier for potential clients/contractors to realize that you can actually deliver what they're looking for, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I think it's probably a good idea to sit down and have a real close look at what your potential clients are, what they do, what they need and what they look for in photographs or photographers. As in, what can you provide that will make their life/work easier. And of course, you'll need something that will make you stick out (at least a little) from the competition in the field of pro photographers.

(just my 2 pennies)

(this reminds me, it's been ages since I had an Irn Bru :-P)

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Admittedly, I'm not a marketing/advertising expert, so just some general thoughts, which need to be taken with at least a grain of salt...

The image you've chosen is a big dark considering your tag line and your own requirements of "big bold images". It's a nice image, but it's rather one, where you need a little time to sink into the mood. In my opinion, it's not really "jumping" at the viewer in a "Look at me! Here I am!" kind of sense. Regarding the "bringing the word to life", something a bit more vivid with stronger primary colors might make it easier for potential clients/contractors to realize that you can actually deliver what they're looking for, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I think it's probably a good idea to sit down and have a real close look at what your potential clients are, what they do, what they need and what they look for in photographs or photographers. As in, what can you provide that will make their life/work easier. And of course, you'll need something that will make you stick out (at least a little) from the competition in the field of pro photographers.

(just my 2 pennies)

(this reminds me, it's been ages since I had an Irn Bru :-P)

Thanks for the advice, all good point. I'm still deciding in what direction i want to take with promoting myself. Seems the market is saturated, however I think I need to concentrate on taking my photography to the next level and making it stand out and have the best quality I can. Headshots and portraiture are my main products to sell whilst landscape and wildlife are my personal hobbies, I don't think anyone makes money from this type of photography anymore, well not unless you are hugely popular and have a footing in the photography world for doing that sort of thing.

Malice

Malice

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

You're welcome.

I see your point with landscape/nature photography. Even though it seems you should be in an excellent position to get into that field. After all, you're based in Scotland, which is rather hard to beat when it comes to dramatic landscapes. And with all the birds on the northern islands, you have access to a lot of material many wildlife photographers will envy you for. ;-)

Anyway, I think before you start defining your advertising, you need to know which direction you really want to get into and then have a good look at what's needed in that particular field.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inyoni, advertising, d750