Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Upgrade from D5300 to D5600 bundle

upgrade nikon d5600 bundle

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

davidlogan

davidlogan

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello everyone,

I have the Nikon D5300 camera and i loved it but i don't have anything else except the standard 18-55mm lens which is lack a lot of features i need so i decided to sell it and buy a completely new nikon d5600 bundle here with 18-140mm lens and many useful accessories.

contain the following:

• AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens
  • 32GB & 16GB Memory Card
  • Digital Slave Flash W/ Bracket
  • Memory Card Wallet
  • 3 PC 67mm Filter Kit (UV/FLD/CPL)
  • 67mm UV Filter
  • 4pc 67mm Macro Lens
  • Full Size Tripod
  • Deluxe Padded Camera Case
  • SD Card Reader/ Writer
  • Wrist Grip Strap
  • Universal Screen Protector, Dust Cleaner Blower Brush, Lens Cap Keeper, Air Blower, 2-IN-1 Cleaning Pen, Lens Tissue, 5 cotton Swabs, FiberTique Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth

The (18-140mm) is enough for a beginner user?

I can spend more $500, is there any useful lens i can buy with this bundle?

Thank you

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
The d5600 is almost an identical performer to the d5300. Why would you want to replace one for the other?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I would tend to agree with Scott.  You indicate you are lacking a number of features, but don't say what the features are.  You may be better off taking the money and investing it in additional lenses or other equipment.  Can you give us an idea of what you feel is lacking in your D5300?  With that info, we can provide better responses and recommendations.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Why upgrade the body? As said above, the difference is very small.

The 18-140 is AF-S, not AF-P and costs right under $500 at B&H.

It can usually be found used for ~$250 or so.

This misidentification together with the strange pack of accessories makes me suspicious of the seller.

What features do you think you need?

If you need more reach, keeping the kit lens and buying a tele zoom to complement it makes more sense.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,527 posts
  • Country Flag
Agreeing with the above, why do you want to « upgrade Â» from the D5300 to the D5600?

Pay attention that with the D5500 the ergonomics of the D5xxx changed - in my opinion for the worst.

As regards the other items in the bundle, the 18-140 lens is giving you indeed some extra focal length over the 18-55, which will be helpful for zooming. Overall the 18-140 is a fine kit lens which I am occasionally also using on my D500 (see the weekly challenges).

A UV filter is of little use with a DSLR, unless for protecting the lens and same goes for most of the other filters. Usefull filters can be polarizing and ND filters.

Memory cards & readers are nowadays cheap items which can be a plus, but should not be a decisive factor. Same for the screen protector & other accessories.

What sounds interesting in the bundle could be the « macro lens Â», even so I suspect these are filters too; as well as the slave flash.

Overall, you don’t mention how much extra (after reselling the D5300) this bundle would cost, leaving you with the extra $500, but there might be better camera/lens options to invest your money in, depending on what you want to use it for.

davidlogan

davidlogan

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

The d5600 is almost an identical performer to the d5300. Why would you want to replace one for the other?

I would tend to agree with Scott.  You indicate you are lacking a number of features, but don't say what the features are.  You may be better off taking the money and investing it in additional lenses or other equipment.  Can you give us an idea of what you feel is lacking in your D5300?  With that info, we can provide better responses and recommendations.

Why upgrade the body? As said above, the difference is very small.

The 18-140 is AF-S, not AF-P and costs right under $500 at B&H.

It can usually be found used for ~$250 or so.

This misidentification together with the strange pack of accessories makes me suspicious of the seller.

What features do you think you need?

If you need more reach, keeping the kit lens and buying a tele zoom to complement it makes more sense.

Agreeing with the above, why do you want to « upgrade Â» from the D5300 to the D5600?

Pay attention that with the D5500 the ergonomics of the D5xxx changed - in my opinion for the worst.

As regards the other items in the bundle, the 18-140 lens is giving you indeed some extra focal length over the 18-55, which will be helpful for zooming. Overall the 18-140 is a fine kit lens which I am occasionally also using on my D500 (see the weekly challenges).

A UV filter is of little use with a DSLR, unless for protecting the lens and same goes for most of the other filters. Usefull filters can be polarizing and ND filters.

Memory cards & readers are nowadays cheap items which can be a plus, but should not be a decisive factor. Same for the screen protector & other accessories.

What sounds interesting in the bundle could be the « macro lens Â», even so I suspect these are filters too; as well as the slave flash.

Overall, you don’t mention how much extra (after reselling the D5300) this bundle would cost, leaving you with the extra $500, but there might be better camera/lens options to invest your money in, depending on what you want to use it for.

Thanks a lot for your replies, i appreciate your help :)

The upgrade is not my main reason, the lens and the accessories is what i need, i totally beginner so i feel like that i wanna try everything, but i think you're totally right about the upgrade.

i have $1000 want to spend, i don't know what i need, i just wanna try what is possible to take better shots

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

the lens and the accessories is what i need, i have $1000 want to spend

Frankly, almost all of the accessories in that bundle are cheap Chinese junk (especially the flash, tripod, filters and macro closeup lenses). I'd put the value of all of them at around US$75, and much of them can be had for free when just buying a lens from folks like Adorama and Beach Photo. But why would you just want to add a bunch of junk.

$1000 will get you a good amount of quality kit, but for anyone to recommend what to start with they'd need some info about what you want to do that you can't do now. But I'll start it off with...

1.) Every serious photographer will sooner or later need a good stable tripod and head. You can get something good for around $150, something great for double that, and the sky is the limit for something crazy. For mid priced stuff I like Benro (tripods and heads) and Manfrotto (tripods, not heads). There are of course many other brands that are good, these are just two I have used for years and never been disappointed.

2.) If you want a lens with more reach I'd consider the Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR, or even the AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II which is very good and on sale right now for stupid cheap ($149).

As for other lenses and stuff we really need more input from you.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,630 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The 18-55 is a capable little lens. If you just start using your camera as much as possible, you will find out where it hinders you in what you want to do. Once you know that, come back and ask for solutions.

When it comes to the accessory kit, a cheap tripod is worse than no tripod at all as it still won't let you shoot those dreamy long exposures as it is too flimsy. The filter kits are leftovers from the film days and the close-up diopters in these kits are usually optically bad, bordering on useless.

To get the most out of your limited budget, wait before you buy a new lens, get a good polariser from Hoya, B+W or Heliopan, start looking for a used (or a basic new one) tripod from Slik, Manfrotto, Benro, Induro, Feisol etc and maybe an ND filter (again from one of the good suppliers). Shoot as much as you can, and analyze both good and bad photos when you get home so you learn as much as you can from your experience. Why not take part in my One week... exercise? If you want feedback on some frames, publish them somewhere here on the site and ask for feedback.

If you feel that you need more reach, Scott's advice above is very good.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Yep...you have great info above...We can probably give more guidance with info on what you are interested in shooting, but Peter has it right - just get out and shoot as much as possible, find what you enjoy shooting and see where your gear is lacking and then we can get busy spending your money :) . Or, at least helping you do it!  

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag

get a good polariser from Hoya, B+W or Heliopan... and maybe an ND filter

If you grab a good Circular Polarizer (CPL), you can pick up a good Linear Polarizer for cheap and stack them to create a variable ND filter. Not quite as good as a standalone ND, but a good, cheap way to experiment (if you already have a good CPL).

davidlogan

davidlogan

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag

Frankly, almost all of the accessories in that bundle are cheap Chinese junk (especially the flash, tripod, filters and macro closeup lenses). I'd put the value of all of them at around US$75, and much of them can be had for free when just buying a lens from folks like Adorama and Beach Photo. But why would you just want to add a bunch of junk.

$1000 will get you a good amount of quality kit, but for anyone to recommend what to start with they'd need some info about what you want to do that you can't do now. But I'll start it off with...

1.) Every serious photographer will sooner or later need a good stable tripod and head. You can get something good for around $150, something great for double that, and the sky is the limit for something crazy. For mid priced stuff I like Benro (tripods and heads) and Manfrotto (tripods, not heads). There are of course many other brands that are good, these are just two I have used for years and never been disappointed.

2.) If you want a lens with more reach I'd consider the Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR, or even the AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II which is very good and on sale right now for stupid cheap ($149).

As for other lenses and stuff we really need more input from you.

I think i will do that, the tripod and the zoom lens and delay the rest, because i think that i don't know what i need, thank you ScottinPollock :)

The 18-55 is a capable little lens. If you just start using your camera as much as possible, you will find out where it hinders you in what you want to do. Once you know that, come back and ask for solutions.

When it comes to the accessory kit, a cheap tripod is worse than no tripod at all as it still won't let you shoot those dreamy long exposures as it is too flimsy. The filter kits are leftovers from the film days and the close-up diopters in these kits are usually optically bad, bordering on useless.

To get the most out of your limited budget, wait before you buy a new lens, get a good polariser from Hoya, B+W or Heliopan, start looking for a used (or a basic new one) tripod from Slik, Manfrotto, Benro, Induro, Feisol etc and maybe an ND filter (again from one of the good suppliers). Shoot as much as you can, and analyze both good and bad photos when you get home so you learn as much as you can from your experience. Why not take part in my One week... exercise? If you want feedback on some frames, publish them somewhere here on the site and ask for feedback.

If you feel that you need more reach, Scott's advice above is very good.

thanks a lot for your advice, as you said, i really need more experience first to know what i need

Yep...you have great info above...We can probably give more guidance with info on what you are interested in shooting, but Peter has it right - just get out and shoot as much as possible, find what you enjoy shooting and see where your gear is lacking and then we can get busy spending your money :) . Or, at least helping you do it!  

i will, thank you TBonz :)

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

if you want to upgrade body then you have d7200 or d500 for next body other then that what they said 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: upgrade, nikon, d5600, bundle