Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Couple by Night

couple night flash cls love portrait

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Had the luxury of shooting this fun couple tonight. There was a light sprinkling of rain, and running late missed golden hour, so I utilized the CLS using a pair of SB700's along with my D800. Some trial and error was required to get the backlit shots to work properly without radio triggers, but it was still fun. Lenses are 50mm f1.8 G, 24-70mm f2.8 AF-S G, and 135mm f2.0 DC

14140191517_9187b531a1_h.jpgTina & John by LK_335, on Flickr

14303575876_d6685e01e9_h.jpgTina & John by LK_335, on Flickr (his face is out of focus... ooops)

14140052689_2900a129f6_h.jpgTina & John by LK_335, on Flickr

14326029944_6bb5ebc338_h.jpgTina & John by LK_335, on Flickr

14140193937_0b2e1cffdd_h.jpgTina & John by LK_335, on Flickr

14140194937_b787a19794_h.jpgTina & John by LK_335, on Flickr

14140195817_5d0095e7ac_h.jpgTina & John by LK_335, on Flickr

14324960252_7d3d214cf6_h.jpgTina & John by LK_335, on Flickr

14303579186_502fc463e2_h.jpgTina & John by LK_335, on Flickr

it was hard to get them to stop kissing. oh well. :)

• UntamedSpirit , Thumper and TBonz like this

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Nice shots Luke.

My preferred one is #7.
  • Wired likes this

Sharongertner

Sharongertner

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMelbourne
Great shots. I really like nr 6. You captured the emotion nicely and also the light coming through them (around heart) makes the shot really nice.
  • Wired likes this

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Very nice set.   Nice job on the lighting.

• Wired likes this

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Thanks guys. 

#7 was the shot of the night. When they asked me to shoot for them I jumped to wanting to do that shot in a split second, there was no question that was the shot I wanted. 

This was really the first time I was using CLS in a "live" scenario, on location. I've dabbled with it a bit prior, but it actually worked very very well. Setting the power levels of the two strobes independently was simply awesome, I love that. The only problem is line of sight can be an issue, as well as range (135mm f2.0 DC trying to do full lengths), and backlit with the CLS is a huge concern. I'm going to look at Pocketwizards or Cactus systems that allow me to remotely adjust power for better reliability in the field. We shot that photo (7) 8-9 times until I finally got the backlight to fire. 

• TBonz likes this

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Thanks guys. 

#7 was the shot of the night. When they asked me to shoot for them I jumped to wanting to do that shot in a split second, there was no question that was the shot I wanted. 

This was really the first time I was using CLS in a "live" scenario, on location. I've dabbled with it a bit prior, but it actually worked very very well. Setting the power levels of the two strobes independently was simply awesome, I love that. The only problem is line of sight can be an issue, as well as range (135mm f2.0 DC trying to do full lengths), and backlit with the CLS is a huge concern. I'm going to look at Pocketwizards or Cactus systems that allow me to remotely adjust power for better reliability in the field. We shot that photo (7) 8-9 times until I finally got the backlight to fire. 

I'm sure they just hated having to pose and reshoot that shot over and over.  :D

• TBonz likes this

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

I'm sure they just hated having to pose and reshoot that shot over and over.   :D

lol, they just used it to make out constantly... seriously, I usually find couples are uncomfortable kissing during a shoot, but these two wouldn't stop! 

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

p.s. why in the world does Nikon always render red's so strangely? I always find that red clothing articles are always tricky to keep the detail and the proper colour. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Most red fabric dyes reflect well into the infrared, and our sensors are a bit oversensitive to both IR and UV. This saturates the red channel. The same thing goes for many red and some blue flowers as well.

• UntamedSpirit likes this

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Nice shots!

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I like the light effect in the umbrella on that last shot.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Nice, I'd patch up his skin a bit on the close-ups though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: couple, night, flash, cls, love, portrait