Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Camera accessories--price gouging?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Snorky

Snorky

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDeep Space 9

I think we can all agree that camera accessories are expensive (sometimes excessively).

Because like other industries, that's where the profits are. But it's clear that most shops--whether "mom and pop" or online--are making huge profits on the goodies you purchase after buying a camera. Such as:

Lens filters at $100, camera bags at $300 or more, and look out.... tripods with prices north of $1,000. Oy!

Most of the high-priced gear is marketed to professionals, but I just find it amusing how much camera stores charge for this stuff.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada
It's not just the camera store... take a look at the pricing of any OEM (Nikon, Canon, Etc.) accessory such as lens hoods, flash, remote shutter release, etc. They are just crazy.

Thankfully, the Chinese third party market has really hit its stride with the help of eBay and the web. All of my accessories are Chinese (Godox, Benro, Yongnuo, SmallRig) and I find it works easily as well as the major brands... all at dimes on the dollar.
  • Dogbytes likes this

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

It's not just the camera store... take a look at the pricing of any OEM (Nikon, Canon, Etc.) accessory such as lens hoods, flash, remote shutter release, etc. They are just crazy.Thankfully, the Chinese third party market has really hit its stride with the help of eBay and the web. All of my accessories are Chinese (Godox, Benro, Yongnuo, SmallRig) and I find it works easily as well as the major brands... all at dimes on the dollar.

Yep, I’m one of those people who like to use OEM stuff. Lenses I can justify in that OEM lenses are expensive but they’re usually good and they do retain more value when you resell them. However, even I consider the price of putting the ‘big’ battery in my D850’s battery grip excessive. The grip itself is a Nikon one (it came with the D850 body, which I bought second hand) but not with the 10.8v battery, which I would like to try and which unlocks the whole 9fps potential of the D850 - but look at these Nikon Store U.K. prices!

EN-EL18c battery £219
MH 26a battery charger £439. That’s no typo - £439!!! For a battery charger!!! And it’s out of stock! They’ll sell you a battery for £219 - but you can’t charge it:D
BL5 battery chamber cover £44.99 (as I recall - it’s disappeared from the Official U.K. Nikon Store)
Total (when you can get them) £877+p&p

I’ll be going 3rd party on this particular occasion. Look...
DSTE EN EL18 £34.49
DSTE MH26 £44.49
BL-5 (3rd party) £27.49
Total £106.47 (includes free postage!)

That’s 1/8, an eighth FFS, of the price of OEM. They get a good write-up too but even if they didn’t last as long, who cares? I don’t care if it lasts a quarter as long - if I bought another one it’d still be half the price of OEM.

RANT OVER...
  • Ron likes this

Snorky

Snorky

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDeep Space 9

Ouch! That's awful.

Let the gouging begin...