Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DMV Area location to shoot stream

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

uupreti

uupreti

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaryland

Hello Everyone!

I was looking for small stream (trying to shoot milky water with long exposure using filters) around DC, MD and VA area. Do you happen to know such place nearby? Any suggestion would be very helpful.

Thank you everyone!

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia
Great Falls parks on the Potomac (either VA or MD) should provide lots of opportunities.
  • smezzullo likes this

uupreti

uupreti

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaryland

Thanks but it's so hard to get in the water with tripod. The current is too high I think. I was looking for small stream. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I don't know your area, but historical societies have helped me in locating smaller but nice streams before. Just ask for map references for old flour mills... A bit downstream from the mill house is usually a good spot.

• uupreti likes this

sunshine

sunshine

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationVirginia
How far are you willing to drive? Shenandoah National Park is about an hour from Manassas. Lots of mountain streams there. The Potomac and Shenandoah rivers converge at Harper's Ferry West Virginia. Lots of shallow rapids. People swim there all summer. 30 minutes from Leesburg. Bull Run that goes through Manassas Battlefield may provide some opportunities.
  • TBonz and uupreti like this

charles76

charles76

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Site Supporter

There are plenty of places here to shoot that. Where are you in Md? I'm in Annapolis. I have Patapcso state Park near me, Severn Run natural area, and a lot of places either in the woods which have running water or at least a small park somewhere nearby. It's the benefit of being near the bay, there's always water close by.

• uupreti likes this

uupreti

uupreti

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMaryland

Thank you all. I live in Germantown Area and Annapolis sounds interesting and may be I can shoot some historical place while I am there.

• AM2010 likes this

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Plenty in MD if you search around.  If you head over to VA, there are creeks that feed into Lake Barcroft not far from the Seven Corners / Bailey's Crossroads area and one on the other side of the dam.  Pretty much any of those should work...but I think you can probably find plenty around Germantown if you look - the hardest part might not be finding the stream / creek but finding a way to get to it without having to get home owner's permission.