Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Overall lens rating: * * * * -
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm F3.5-4.5G IF-ED

AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm F3.5-4.5G IF-ED

• Mark H. likes this

Product Photos

Attached Image: 2149_AF-S-DX-Zoom-NIKKOR-18-70mm-f-3.5-4.5G-IF-ED_front.png

Product Number: 2149
Lens Category: Walkaround
GENERAL:  
In Production: No
OPTICS:  
Format: DX (APS-C)
Optical Construction: 15 elements in 13 groups
Min. Focusing Distance (cm): 38
Max. Magnification (x): 0.16
Zoom/Magnification Ratio (x): 3.9
Coating Type: Super Integrated
Special Optical Elements: Extra-Low Dispersion Element(s) (ED), Aspherical Element(s) (AS)
DX Field of View (deg): 76 to 22.5
APERTURE:  
Max. Aperture: F3.5
Min. Aperture: F22
Number of Aperture Blades: 7
Aperture Ring: No
FOCUSING:  
Focus Type: AF-S (Silent wave motor)
Focusing Modes: M/A, M
Full-Time AF Override: Yes
Distance Scale: Yes
Macro: No
FEATURES:  
Stabilization: No
Weather Sealing: No
Tripod Collar: No
Internal Zooming: No
DIMENSIONS:  
Filter Size (mm): 67
Max. Barrel Diameter (mm): 73
Collapsed Length (mm): 75.5
Weight (g): 390
ACCESSORIES:  
Hood: HB-32
Case: CL-0915
Front Cap: LC-67
Rear Cap: LF-1
In the Box: Hood, Soft Case, Front Cap, Rear Cap
Please use the area below for lens reviews only. Comments on others' reviews and off-topic posts will be deleted.

2 Reviews

scenicsabound
Nov 19 2013 06:56 AM

A good general purpose zoom and with it's slightly faster f4.5 and all metal mount it is certainly a good step up from many kit lenses. However it is not the sharpest lens in my collection so I do have to keep the aperture away from the extremes when I want to milk the sharpest image possible. This is a great lens for those shoots where you want reasonable sharpness while not being too worried about something happening to it (I use it for 4x4 rallies, Xcountry bike runs etc - anywhere there are flying rocks). With the builtin AF motor the focusing is quiet and fast.

• Mark H. likes this

I generally avoid "kit" lenses, but this little DX beauty, which came bundled with the Nikon D70 many, many years ago, continues to surprise me with the quality of photos it produces. The focal range is just about right for a walk-around lens (approx. equivalent 28-105mm). On a tripod under available light at its widest setting (18mm) in a crowded restaurant, for instance, I was amazed that I could zoom into the digital photo to see which ring a colleague was wearing at a window table 20 feet away. I've made 20 x 30 inch prints from this lens that show no pixelization or other artifacts even up close. I have a strong preference for prime lenses and use them whenever I can, but for a DX zoom, this 18-70mm is hard to beat. It's far better built and more versatile, in my opinion, than the Nikon 18-55mm zoom that replaced it. And at about $160 to $175 used for a mint copy, it's a true bargain and a lens I would recommend to anyone.