Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3200 Bulb setting & remote control issue

bulb remote control d3200

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

clucas

clucas

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Using my D3200. Want to take some night sky photos using the bulb setting and the remote control. When I set the camera to Manual and set the shutter speed to bulb, "Bulb" appears as it is supposed to. However, when I select the release mode to "Delayed remote" or "Quick-response remote" I get 2 dashes and the remote does not act properly. What I mean is that I should be able to press the remote button once to open the shutter and then press it again (say 10 minutes later) to close the shutter. Anybody know what I might be doing wrong? I don't think there is any other setting I should use, is there?

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

What remote are you using?  If it's a wired remote, it needs to have a release lock on it, like this one:

http://www.amazon.co...ds=nikon remote

clucas

clucas

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm using a wireless, Photive PHML-1.3, which is the correct one for the camera and indeed it works, I've used it before. But that's not the issue, The issue is that I can't have the camera set to "Bulb" and then select the remote as the release mode.

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

You need to use Time rather than Bulb with the infrared remote. See page 58 of the D3200 manual.

Chris

clucas

clucas

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks! I just read that and understand. Now my problem must be with the Photive remote control. When I press the button with the camera in Time mode it takes a photo and does not stay open until I press it again. I'll have to do more research on that. Thanks again, Chris!

Tide Photography

Tide Photography

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTennessee

I use a wireless remote. I have just recently started experimenting with 120+ second exposures. It is addictive.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bulb, remote control, d3200