Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RAW settings but shooting JPEG, why?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Nikongirl

Nikongirl

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

My Nikon Z711 is set to RAW, but after one week on a shoot I went to open my files and they are all JPEG. I checked my settings, which still reflects RAW. Why are my photos in JPEG? I'm gutted. I installed an upgrade before I came on this shoot and checked my settings before leaving and they are all the same that I left them. Does this have to do with the upgrade or is something basic happening that I'm not aware of. Please help! My images from this shoot are done for. Thank you.

Ellinor William

Ellinor William

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Country Flag

Use raw if you plan on a lot of editing. a raw is not a photo, it's the sensor data before it's turned into a jpeg. Much easier to recover a bad photo if you have the raw, but if you are only making minor adjustments the jpeg is usually fine, you just can't take it as far.

Also the film simulations will not be applied to the raw file unless you use a program that will read that and reapply it, so you'd have to edit the whole image from scratch.

Check this article to understand better.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What mode were you in on the mode dial? I think the camera reverts to jpeg in green auto mode and it is possible to set one of the U modes to save in jpeg as well.

What editor do you use? It should be possible to save your jpegs as tiff and work on them without losing too much quality with most pixel editors.

If you have set the camera to save in RAW + L, some photo browsers will only show the jpeg as a default setting and hide the .NEF unless you right-click on the photo and specify to show the files separately.

• TBonz likes this