Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Got an F4e

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

tonyzoc

tonyzoc

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Country Flag
I started using and collecting Nikon film cameras not quite 2 years ago and I'm up to 19 bodies and 29 lenses including 2 F1 and 3 F2, and got my first F4 this week. I love this camera. You can mount anything in F mount on it and get matrix metering. I don't mind the size and weight. 5705af857f1c6ecbd0351cd9f8b83990.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

When in the production run was it made? The used and abused one I have kept is #2242xxx and has needed quite a few of the running changes done as it still had the screen-printed knobs and the 100000 exposure bug when new. The LCD-s are beginning to bleed, but they are still more or less readable. The reason I kept this one is that it is the first I bought and I have shot around 5600 rolls of mostly HP5 through it.

gallery_1251_413_39056.jpg

• TBonz likes this

Larryc001

Larryc001

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAgassiz British Columbia Canada
Good choice. I am beginning to believe Ken Rockwell’s opinion that the F4 was the best film camera that Nikon ever made. I recently purchased a $20 body from eBay which was missing a lot of parts. So I went ahead and bought an MF-23 back and an MB-23 battery case. It had already a DP-20 but no screen so I still need one of those. So being ocd and crazy as hell I went ahead and bought another complete body with MB-20 battery. I haven’t received it yet. Once I get one working I am going to get a roll of film out of the fridge and shoot some. Can’t wait.

73C20743-7E57-4E44-811E-1D53FFBB6EBC.jpeg

tonyzoc

tonyzoc

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Country Flag

When in the production run was it made? The used and abused one I have kept is #2242xxx and has needed quite a few of the running changes done as it still had the screen-printed knobs and the 100000 exposure bug when new. The LCD-s are beginning to bleed, but they are still more or less readable. The reason I kept this one is that it is the first I bought and I have shot around 5600 rolls of mostly HP5 through it.

My serial is 2320XXX. I don't know what the 100,000 exposure bug is... I only have a little LCD bleed in the exposure comp window, so not bad overall. My DP-20 has some marks, but is fully functional. I only paid $144 plus shipping from Japan... so around $180 total. Not bad for the price. I've put one roll of HP5+ through it, and just put a roll of Fuji 200 in it. I'm going to be developing the HP5+ soon... looking forward to seeing the result... hopefully high speeds aren't capping or any other problems.

tonyzoc

tonyzoc

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Country Flag

Hey thanks so much for your reply. I looked into this bug and found out what it is... the aperture level doesn't go down all the way. My camera has this issue. Luckily it is still returnable. I will buy a replacement though and it will be a high serial number > 242xxxx with no bleed.

tonyzoc

tonyzoc

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Country Flag
The F4e was shipped back and I got a F4s with ser no. 261xxxx and no LCD bleed. The price was $30 more and it works fine and is in pretty nice condition.

• Merco_61 likes this

tonyzoc

tonyzoc

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Country Flag

The F4e was shipped back and I got a F4s with ser no. 261xxxx and no LCD bleed. The price was $30 more and it works fine and is in pretty nice condition.

just a follow up to this... I had the F4s for a week, on my 2nd roll, and sitting at my desk it slips out of my hand while changing lenses and hits the hardwood floor just near the right strap lug. The impact put a small crack in the right hand top plate and knocked the frame counter window out of place. As a result of this the frame counter dial doesn't turn, and when I put a fresh roll on it never moves off of -2... so every time I hit the shutter button it winds 3 frames, thinking it's not loaded .. though the rewind knob is spinning. I took it to a local shop for an estimate and they told me it would be a minimum $250 if repairable and I should just keep it for parts since everything else is still working. Well since I have the DP-20 and MB-20 and 21 I went and got another body (258xxxx) for $100 shipped. Then I watched a Japanese disassembly where he removed that top plate, and figured what do I have to loose. So I was able to get the top plate off and found the counter frame bent and clear window popped out. I straighten the counter frame part and reglued the window, reassembled and everything work great. Saved myself $250, but now I have 2 F4. So I spent another $100 and got a WL finder. Crazy huh.