Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon software won't install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

MNissen

MNissen

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, my first post.

I've had a D300 for over 10 years, I've use Macs professionally for over 20. Both have served me well. For the photos, Photoshop and Lightroom.

So I thought I'd get around, to trying some of the Nikon software and the one that interested me most, was the:  Picture Control Utility or Picture Control Utility 2, so I could export the controls back and forth between the Mac and the Camera.

I figured out that I needed to install ViewNX 2 or Capture NX 2 and Picture Control Utility  or Picture Control Utility 2

on all of these,  what happens is that I :

Download the .dmg file from the Nikon site.

Double click to open the dmg.

Double click the Nikon-Welcome icon.

Enter/confirm the language and region.

Click install.

Instantly, a message pops up that has, the Nikon ion, "The installation is complete." and 'OK'. {My computer is fast, but not that fast.}

I cannot find the installed software, anywhere.

Any ideas? have I done some thing wrong?

Is there other software I have to install first?

Do I have to hold my elbows up in the air?

Mac Pro |  macOS Catalina 10.15.7 |  Processor 2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon |  48 GB RAM |  Graphics Radeon RX580 8 GB

Installation-Complete.png

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Capture NX 2 has been abandonware since 2014 or so. Capture NX-D or Nikon Studio should install without problems on catalina, though. I don’t remember if Picture Control Utility is dependent on NX-D or Studio being present on install.

MNissen

MNissen

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Capture NX 2 has been abandonware since 2014 or so. Capture NX-D or Nikon Studio should install without problems on catalina, though. I don’t remember if Picture Control Utility is dependent on NX-D or Studio being present on install.

Thanks for that, I downloaded fresh installers of Capture NX-D & Nikon Studio, but still the problem remains. I can't understand. This is on my Mac Pro.

Maybe I have to have bought something / registered my camera,  or something... Dunno.

Same thing happens when I try to install on my Macbook Pro, and my Mac Mini. Both Catalina.

I remember I wasn't impressed when I looked at the Nikon software back when I bought the camera in 2010. 

I remain unimpressed.

MNissen

MNissen

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

As it happened, after emailing my local Nikon representatives, they suggested  - uninstall/reinstall which didn't work. 

Then I remembered a trick from my sys admin days, I went straight to the installer app/exe - at e.g. - NX Studio/Welcome/Contents/Welcome - and ran it from there, it worked :)  Amazing what you forget....

That should read   NX Studio/Welcome/Contents/MacOS/Welcome

MNissen

MNissen

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Well nearly two months later, I've not only got this nearly working but I've discovered it's limitations.

I suppose I'm being naive, thinking that exporting settings from my camera to my computer, would include all the settings, in 4 x shooting menus and the 4 x custom setting menus etc, on my D300.

It appears that the only settings accessed  in the software are the few, in the menu entry SHOOTING MENU/Set Picture Control - and - Manage Picture Control.  i.e. Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome etc.   

The camera saves a file, when I  "Save/Load settings" at the root level of the CF card, called NCSETUP1.BIN.  

The Picture Control Utility software my Mac, wont find this file on any card, to import it. "There are no custom Picture Controls found." Nor will the 'import from file', work, I copied the file NCSETUP1.BIN into the DCIM folder on the card and onto the desktop. Nope, wont import it from anywhere, can see it, but it's greyed out.

I can export from the software to the card, it creates this: NIKON/CUSTOMPC/PICCON01.NCP

but I'm not keen to try and load it into my D300 in case it wipes the hours, of tweaking I've done to my 4 x 4 settings banks .

If anyone can see any flaws in my reasoning or procedure, please advise.

Otherwise, I guess Picture Control Utility 2 ver.2.4.8 from 2015 is redundant.