Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hi from Scouseland

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

8A Rail

8A Rail

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLiverpool

Hello All.

Well it has taken me long enough to join, but here I am! Been taking photos since 1980, mainly of trains but also other forms of transport too. Currently using a D90, which I've had since February 2010 and still going strong, with a AF-S 18-105 ED VR zoom lens, a great combination in my eyes. I had my first book railway book earlier this year and now working on my next one.

In the meantime, finances permitting, hoping to upgrade to a new camera in the next few months and currently looking at D7500. Would love a full frame version, i.e. D610 but means need to get a new lens too which I am unable to afford so go for the alternative option as above. 

I have a flickr site (or two) were some of my images are displayed. See: # Doug Birmingham # | Flickr  and  https://www.flickr.com/photos/8a-miscellany/

Regards. Doug (8A Rail). 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, Doug!

The 18-105 is well matched to the D90. I am not certain if it works as nicely on a D7200 or D7500 as the higher pixel density make them more demanding when it comes to optical quality. See if you can borrow a D7500 and use a critical eye to check the picture quality yourself.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

Welcome, nice images you have.

I would just like to ask why the D7500, its about £400 more expensive than the D7200 and wonder what it would gain you over the D7200 for your type of work, the D7200 would give you a nice chunk of money toward a new lens.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I would rather go for a D7200 and a used 16-85 for about the same money as getting the D7500 while keeping the 18-105 if Mike's price comparison is correct. You would not only save some money for the body, you would gain 1/2 a stop of dynamic range at base ISO (according to DxO) where you most need it when shooting trains midday.

Skärmavbild 2018-09-10 kl. 11.53.04.png

The other things Nikon have crippled the D7500 with wouldn't be of that much concern as the D7500 is the direct modern equivalent of the D90 while the earlier D7xxx bodies had features from the D300 thrown in as there was no DX pro body in production or on the horizon.

8A Rail

8A Rail

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLiverpool

Thank you for your most interesting replies, which are appreciated. I will give some due consideration too. However, the price comparison is not as great as stated. D7200 is approx £500 - £600 with the D7500 between £620 - £790 depending where you purchase in the UK.  I am also looking at the higher range ISO too especially for night time (station) action shots and the less 'noise' the better too. If I've read the reviews / camera info correctly, the D7500 seems to the better option? 

I must admit I do like the range of the 18-105mm lens therefore would prefer similar lens, if I was going down that route for a replacement. However, I do wish to purchase either a 35 or 50mm fixed focal length lens and also a 70-300mm lens in due course, so it is a question of attempting to balance the books as such. From a personal point of view, I reckon these will be my final photographic purchases for the foreseeable future, so it is a question, to obtain the best quality (new) items I am able to afford. 

Thank you again for input, very much appreciated.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The really high ISO settings the D7500 are more for bragging rights than practical use as the DR is so low. You really need a sensor with bigger wells to get usable ISO over 12800, and to get these bigger wells, you need a 20-24 MP FX chip.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

You must be talking S/H or gray import, the genuine new Nikon UK imports are the prices i quoted from dealers like Wex