Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Manual lens won't work on my d7500

d7500

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

THEfyn

THEfyn

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Hey all,

I'm a novice at this.  I bought two lenses that are non CPU/manual.  The latest is:

"Altura Photo 8mm f/3.0 Professional Ultra Wide Angle Aspherical Fisheye Lens for NIKON D7500 DSLR"

I set the focus to M on the side and top of the camera body.  The camera LED screen remains blank.  I can see out of the view finder, focus manually and set aperture etc and trigger an image but the image is black.

I looked at this How To Use Old Legacy Lenses On Your Modern Nikon DSLR & Get EXIF Data

And tried to find the non CPU lens data section in the menu, but it's not listed on the d7500. 

So is the advertising on the lens wrong?  Is it not compatible with the d7500?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D7500 can't use Ai lenses fully as it needs a chip to set the aperture from the body for the meter to work. You can, however guesstimate the exposure and shoot in manual (Manual exposure, not manual focus) without the meter.

Is the Altura fish chipped or not? As the D7500 doesn't have the Ai coupling, there is no non-CPU lens data section.

breeliz

breeliz

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

I often use my old AI lenses for things requiring a tripod like IR and long exposure.  I use the D7500 on the tripod and carry an old camera just to meter with so I don't have to mess with the D7500 partial incompatibility.  I just give it the values, focus and shoot.  Old camera is my light meter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d7500