Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

New content

Explore content from the community

Member Blogs

Getting punchier monochromes SOOC

in My musings on technique and sometimes technology

I see them fine, they have contrast.
You have managed to tune well.

Photo

Oops!

in Dogbytes' Blog

A few years back, I went to the dark side with a Canon film camera.  I hated it, and switched to Nikon and never went back.  

I’ve had it five weeks now, I think, and I’ve become a bit more objective about it. In fairness to it, the body has a feeling of immense solidity to it - more so even than an F3 or F4. Its AF is no worse than my D610 was, it misses regularly with no real excuse - it was never going to be another D850, I suppose! The metering is just weird and the dynamic range is shocking. 
What worries me most is that the lenses are so good. I managed to get a bit more cash over the last month and have added two more, so I now have and EF-S 24/2.8STM (38.4mm equivalent) and an EF 200/2.8 L ii (320mm equivalent) All the lenses are excellent bordering exceptional. Nikon have nothing to touch any of them at that price point. I find myself wondering what an EOS 5DR might be like… :D

Photo

Oops!

in Dogbytes' Blog

A few years back, I went to the dark side with a Canon film camera.  I hated it, and switched to Nikon and never went back.  

Photo

Oops!

in Dogbytes' Blog

The most objectionable thing with noisy shadows, to me, at least -- is color noise. If you can eliminate that, you've gone a long way towards fixing your shadow noise problem. 

Since I've never shot with a digital Canon camera I can't be much more help beyond that. Some sensors don't react well to noise canceling software but most of them get rid of color noise fairly well.

But protect those highlights ... once they're gone, shows over.

--Ron

Photo
  • Ron
  • 12 August 2023 - 10:50 AM

Oops!

in Dogbytes' Blog

Yes, I was aware that highlight protection would have to be a priority - I just didn’t realise how much of a priority and to what extent the highlights would need to be protected! I also didn’t realise, and I’m still quite shocked about it, just how noisy the shadows would be. You’d need to shooting in a studio to be able to control the light enough to avoid blown highlights and noisy shadows at the same time. When I’m shooting outside, even in pretty flat light, I’m going to get one or the other. How sensor technology has improved!

Photo

Oops!

in Dogbytes' Blog

I usually shoot old Canons as if they were loaded with fast slide film.

Protect those highlights!

Noise in underexposed shadows can be saved with a good De-noise app or plugin, but blown highlights are lost forever.

It might be worth downloading and evaluating PhotoNinja as it tends to tweak a bit more DR out of any old(ish) raw files. The built-in de-noising and colour calibration tools don't exactly hurt the workflow when working with older sensors either.

It is quite stable even on older Macs, I run 1.4.0c on an old 2007 Core2Duo as well as my 2020 16" i9

Photo

Oops!

in Dogbytes' Blog

Expose for the highlights, let the shadows be damned.

I hate fiddling with a camera when I should be taking pictures. Pictures... not captures! Gawd, I hate that word. Frames.... is OK.

There was a book... actually, my father bought it for me back in the early seventies, called "Independent Photography" by ... uh, Robert Foothorapt (I think that's how it's spelled)... anyway, it's a good tome for anyone interested in the art and science of photography, even if it was written loong before digital. The author deals with many of the same quirks as you and grouses about them frequently over the course of the book. It's a good read.

However, the main point... (I know, you were afraid that there wasn't going to be a main point!) ... is that the camera doesn't take the picture. The photographer does.

It's just a tool... a means to an end. The vision is inside the photographer.

I'm sure you'll wrangle that Canon to the ground and have it hog tied before long. Actually, it looks like you already have.

--Ron

Photo
  • Ron
  • 11 August 2023 - 06:49 PM

Nikon Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 AF

in La Bikina's Blog

Here the AF shot, now you can compare with the UD.

Next time I will try both f/3.5 and same speed.

Photo

Test 20mm 3.5 UD vs 20mm AF 2.8

in La Bikina's Blog

This one with the Manual focus lens, more comfortable to use.

Photo