Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

chingwe's Content

There have been 2 items by chingwe (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#73793 D850 back buttion focus won't work in live view, works with viewfinder

Posted by chingwe on 07 June 2021 - 03:38 PM in Technical Troubleshooting

I have been using back button focus (using AF-ON button) since I got the camera 13 months ago, in both live view and through the viewfinder.  Two days ago it stopped focusing in live view with the AF-ON buttion, but continues to focus through the viewfinder.  Changed batteries, lenses, and even reset the camera but it will not focus in live view with the AF-ON button.  Touching the screen in live view will generate the focus cycle.

If I change A8 to shutter/AF-ON, in live view it will focus with the shutter but not the AF-ON button.  I can assign focus to the FN1 button, and it will work in live view...and may even be a better choice when using live view since my finger rests near there naturally. 

I mostly shoot through the viewfinder, so it won't stop my activities but have to wonder if this is the beginning of a more serious problem.  Has anybody else experienced this?

Firmware version:  C 1.11, LD 2.018

Thanks in advance for any insight.

#69411 UPDATE: Nikon D750 firmware update error, camera dead

Posted by chingwe on 13 August 2020 - 02:14 PM in Technical Troubleshooting

With the Nikon Service Center open finally, I was able to send in the camera for repair from the firmware update failure (see prior post).  For $318, the list of repairs were replaced memory compression and updated firmware along with replacing the rubber grips, general check and clean, and adjusting auto focus operation.  Mailed it July 29th, and received back on August 13th.  Camera seems to be working fine.  Guess now I have to decide whether to keep it or sell it, it looks almost new!