Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Long Exposure's Content

There have been 151 items by Long Exposure (Search limited from 17-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#23878 Printing my photo to an 8x10 size from my D7000

Posted by Long Exposure on 02 July 2014 - 08:03 PM in Post-Processing, Printing, and Scanning

The Google machine is your friend. >>>

#23875 Tripod

Posted by Long Exposure on 02 July 2014 - 07:57 PM in Beginner Questions

Induro makes a nice sturdy, inexpensive tripod with a ballhead.  At somepoint you will want to buy a different ballhead but the legs are quite nice for the price.

http://www.indurogea...es-tripod-kits/

#23874 D800 (5k actuations) vs D800 (35k actuations) purchasing ?

Posted by Long Exposure on 02 July 2014 - 07:52 PM in Beginner Questions

Wont be shooting excessively by any means. 

You can replace shutters correct?  pretty inexpensively from what i have read

If you will not be shooting muck, 200K actuations is a long ways away.  You ay 135K actuations left.  If you consider, say 20K actuations a year getting to the limit is about seven years out. 

#23873 Need help picking a 35mm body

Posted by Long Exposure on 02 July 2014 - 07:46 PM in Beginner Questions

Patrick:

Good for you going for film.  Since AF is not needed I would suggest getting an FE.  There are lits of them available and a basic camera with all manual controls. but with a light meter.  Here is a ton of them for a little over a hundred dollars.

http://www.keh.com/s...eprice=0&r=SE

If you want something a bit more automatic a N65 or a N80 would be nice.  Those are super cheap.

#23238 "The Forest"

Posted by Long Exposure on 18 June 2014 - 03:30 PM in Abstract and Artistic Effects

Three clicks in Topaz Labs Lens Effects.  Good point Jesper about the crop.  I see your point.  Thanks.

#22600 Fine Art Photography Gear

Posted by Long Exposure on 04 June 2014 - 05:51 PM in Photographic Technique

First, before we get too carried away making suggestions, what does your Canon equipment not do that you wish to do?  To ask the same question another way, how is your current equipment holding you back?

Having a handle on the answers will beging to clarify for you your needs/desires and help up make responsible, cogent suggestions.

Also as a 35+ year Nikon shooter, I feel compelled to ask, as a Canon shooter, why are you asking for equipment suggestions on a Nikon forum site?  You will undoubtedly get Nikon suggestions that may or may not be directly applicable to the Canon line-up.  Are you planning on becomeing a Nikon shooter?  That is very rare - switching.  As I am sure you understand abandoning one line for the other is costly.  Typically, one committed to one or the other there needs to be a burning desire to switch.  I am curious.

Please address these questions then I and others will be in a better position to help you.

#22206 Clueless

Posted by Long Exposure on 27 May 2014 - 01:32 PM in Photographic Technique

I looked at the galleries at the web link provided in the O.P.  I want my three minutes back.

If I paid for an MFA, like he did and the attendant photos were all I could produce I would feel ripped off.

#21835 Google Analytics

Posted by Long Exposure on 20 May 2014 - 05:49 AM in Beginner Questions

Thanks LE. It's my baby.

I can understand that.  A spectacular piece of artillery, even though the design is 100 years old.

#21450 Google Analytics

Posted by Long Exposure on 14 May 2014 - 03:15 AM in Beginner Questions

Nice Springfield 1911, BTW.

#21155 Affordable ND/grad filter starter kit?

Posted by Long Exposure on 09 May 2014 - 08:40 AM in Beginner Questions

B&W screw-in filters are the best (relatively) inexpensive ND filters that do not change your WB (much.)  Cheap ND filters are terrible for color cast and changing WB.  That is all I have to give on this topic other than agreeing with Merco_61.

If you want to see what the B&W ND filters can do, go to the "Seascapes Forum" and look at my posts there.

#21122 Man on the street

Posted by Long Exposure on 08 May 2014 - 07:18 PM in Street Photography

For me, street photography has a strong tradition of being B&W, so I almost always convert my street photos to B&W.  The photo below is from a street fair as part of a music festival in West Palm Beach, FL.  Enjoy.

low rez DSC_0556 BW.jpg

#21121 "You Had to Be There" 600 second of the ocean

Posted by Long Exposure on 08 May 2014 - 07:14 PM in Seascapes

Thank you both.

#21098 "You Had to Be There" 600 second of the ocean

Posted by Long Exposure on 08 May 2014 - 10:22 AM in Seascapes

Yesterday morning's sunrise worked out OK.  The photo doesn't do the sunrise justice.  You had to be there.  600-second exposure about 35 minutes before sunrise along the coast of Florida, USA, at Point of Rocks.  Enjoy.

DSC_1072 copy denoise restyle Crop.jpg

#21097 An Early Morning On Singer Island

Posted by Long Exposure on 08 May 2014 - 10:16 AM in Seascapes

I love all your ocean time exposures.

They are all so soft and abstract, like oil paintings.

Thank you sir.

#20260 F5 or F6

Posted by Long Exposure on 28 April 2014 - 08:36 AM in Film Photography

Trying to fine one clean and cheap.  It probably doesn't matter to me size wise as I shoot a D3s, a D600 and a D7000.  Any thoughts on the differences besides the size?

#20000 An Early Morning On Singer Island

Posted by Long Exposure on 24 April 2014 - 05:55 PM in Seascapes

A 206 second exposure in the predawn light of a rock formation just of the beach, at Singer Island, Florida.

A bit about the exposure.  When I take these exposures the timing is always a bit tricky as the light is constantly changing with the coming dawn.  My point is taking a light meter reading then mentally calculating for the exposure time, to compensate for the ND filters will result in an exposure about 20 percent too long.  This exposure used stacked 10-stop and 6-stop filters with ISO 100.

Attached Thumbnails

• Low rez DSC_4483 BW Desat.jpg

#19999 Microphone for Videography

Posted by Long Exposure on 24 April 2014 - 05:38 PM in HDSLRs and Video

Upham got this one right.  That is what I use also.  Quick, simple and onboard.

#19998 "Looking East"

Posted by Long Exposure on 24 April 2014 - 05:34 PM in Seascapes

Love it.  Can you explain in a bit more detail how you made it?

Sure do you have a specific question.  Camera on a tripod. A cord actuated shutter release.  The exposure was 0.6 seconds.  Sun was over my shoulder.  A ten stop filter held back the light to get the lengthy exposure.

#19586 F5 or F6

Posted by Long Exposure on 21 April 2014 - 09:24 AM in Film Photography

Anyone here shooting a F5 or F6?  if so which and why?  Thanks.

#19392 Where are all the old film cameras and lenses?

Posted by Long Exposure on 18 April 2014 - 10:22 AM in Film Photography

I troll the few camera stores I find along the way and flea markets.

#19390 Scanning

Posted by Long Exposure on 18 April 2014 - 10:20 AM in Post-Processing, Printing, and Scanning

Any film shooters doing their own scanning?  What high quality scanner are you using?  Is anyone using a Nikon scanner?  Thanks.

#19389 Guess who found 3 rolls of Kodachrome that are unexposed...

Posted by Long Exposure on 18 April 2014 - 10:18 AM in Post-Processing, Printing, and Scanning

Yes, I am afraid you got caught up in the "snooze you lose" position.  Others on this thread are correct that the last lab to color process K stopped after doing Mr. Curry's roll.  And FWIW, and slightly off topic, I was not impressed with many of the compositions he presented from that last roll.

You can buy Tri-X and have it processed for less than $16/roll.  If it were me I would stick it on Ebay.com and take what you can get.  Someone will want it as a momento to the past if nothing else.

#19299 Tri-Pod Head for Telephoto Lens

Posted by Long Exposure on 17 April 2014 - 10:29 AM in Beginner Questions

Induro ballheads are crap.  The legs are fine, but I once traded out the ballhead from an Induro unit to a different maker as soon as I could.

#19297 Neutral Density Filter

Posted by Long Exposure on 17 April 2014 - 10:23 AM in Beginner Questions

No a polarizer will not get the same effect but using a polarizer in conjunction with an ND filter is a great idea as the polarizer will knock down the glare.

And to follow up on Merco's thoughts, I carry round 4-stop, 6-stop and a 10-stop filters with rings.  That way I have flexibility to really knock down the light.

One point untouched upon is focusing.  Once you get to 10-stop and beyond you will need to focus, then lock focus, then install the filter(s) as focusing will be near impossible with the filter(s) in place.

#18565 D9300 Rumor

Posted by Long Exposure on 03 April 2014 - 06:04 PM in Nikon News and Rumors

How about that D9300 rumor that is floating around?  Finally, and hopefully a replacement for the D300s.  I first read the rumor at NikonRumors.com but it is now at several other blogs and forums.

Can't wait to see the specs.