Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Rontography's Content

There have been 20 items by Rontography (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#41405 Surfing

Posted by Rontography on 11 August 2016 - 07:46 AM in Sports

I've never been on a surfboard. I've never even really watched anybody surf in person. But I look at a lot of surfing pictures. That last one is pretty damn cool to me. 

#40424 Your Best Photo, Week Ending 10 July 2016

Posted by Rontography on 06 July 2016 - 01:38 PM in Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games

Today's image is brought to you by the letter "S". Sorry for the corny Sesame Street reference but I couldn't help myself.

Cool shot. I like it. 

#40279 What advice do you have for shooting a hot air balloon festival?

Posted by Rontography on 01 July 2016 - 08:31 AM in Photographic Technique

The ones I have been to are pretty open and you can get as up close and personal as you want. If they do a balloon glow at night don't miss it. 

#40145 Your Best Photo, Week Ending 26 June 2016

Posted by Rontography on 28 June 2016 - 09:27 AM in Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games

Nice shots TBonz. I tried early on to get some good hummingbird shots but then they all disappeared. Then I broke my feeder. Time to get another one out and see what happens. 

#40124 Your Best Photo, Week Ending 26 June 2016

Posted by Rontography on 27 June 2016 - 09:42 AM in Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games

Ok it's just a crappy iPhone pic but it's not everyday that you are sitting out on the deck drinking coffee and petting the dog when a B17 flies over. 

i-JxbVNvD-M.jpg

#40061 Burst mode in iOS 9

Posted by Rontography on 24 June 2016 - 02:57 PM in Other Camera Brands

Heck, I wasn't even aware of the burst mode until right now. Interesting. 

EDIT:  And, of course, it posted sideways...oh well...

drives me crazy when it does that

#39987 Your Best Photo, Week Ending 19 June 2016

Posted by Rontography on 22 June 2016 - 08:48 AM in Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games

Your photo for this week is a prime example of why it is more important to have an eye, good technique and be familiar with your equipment than having the latest and greatest.

I appreciate that. I'm really in tune with what I have because it's all I have. It's not much but it works for me and I'm not trying to earn any money doing it. I think that is what a lot of people are lacking. I thought I was going to have to knock my wife down when she started to holler at them to turn around. She doesn't get it. 

#39985 Your Best Photo, Week Ending 19 June 2016

Posted by Rontography on 22 June 2016 - 08:27 AM in Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games

I'm never really prepared but somehow make something work well enough for me. I had my dinosaur D90 and my Micro 40mm and nothing else. My girls had no idea that I was taking a picture.

1b%26w-M.jpg

#39903 Small rant

Posted by Rontography on 20 June 2016 - 08:50 AM in Coffee Chat

I just spent a week on the beach and had the opportunity to watch a bunch of "Pros" in action. How many pictures of families all dressed in khaki shorts and same colored shirts in front of sea oats can you take before you hang yourself??

But hey, they are making a living hanging out at the beach and those customer's are plenty happy in getting what they are getting. So I am happy for them, maybe even a bit jealous.

The only thing that bothers me is the attitude. Yes I know I'm no "Pro". Yes I realize my equipment is outdated junk. Yes I realize I'm hacking it up and not choosing to do my poses like you. And YES I did just ask you to take a couple of steps to the left. My stuff may not be exposed correctly or maybe I didn't use the light to my advantage. I probably didn't use the correct lens and my focus might not be spot on. But the image that I am creating is far superior to the snapshot you are selling. You should be happy for me just as I am happy for you. The world could use a little more happiness. 

#39081 Your Best Photo, Week Ending 22 May 2016

Posted by Rontography on 25 May 2016 - 09:27 AM in Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games

In this case Photoshop CC. It is a bit quick and dirty but works surprisingly well when there is no misalignment between the slices. The cleanup if there are misalignment artifacts is very timeconsuming, though.

For a bit deeper stacks, Helicon Focus is hard to beat. Zerene Stacker does an even better job for really deep stacks, 100 slices or more but my aging mac gets slow as molasses when processing stacks above 50 12 MP slices or so.

Sweet. I have used Helicon and Zerene in the past but haven't tried Photoshop yet. I've read up on it and it's nice to see that it produces some good results. 

Thanks.

#39079 Your Best Photo, Week Ending 22 May 2016

Posted by Rontography on 25 May 2016 - 08:54 AM in Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games

This is a stack of 12 slices to get this DOF at a reproduction scale of 1.5 to 1 on the sensor, even @ f/22.

What software are you using for stacking?

#38905 Song Title Game

Posted by Rontography on 19 May 2016 - 01:11 PM in Coffee Chat

Cherry Pie

Warrant

#38896 Tri- monopod, airport

Posted by Rontography on 19 May 2016 - 09:31 AM in Coffee Chat

Never carried a tripod or monopod attached to a bag but I have carried a couple of fly rods attached to backpacks all over the country. They are broken down in cases about 30 inches long but nobody has ever questioned them. 

#38889 What about a music-inspired challenge?

Posted by Rontography on 19 May 2016 - 07:38 AM in Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games

Okay so that's at least 3 in front of me so I'm in. 

I don't have any shoots ever so mine will just be me putting up something I like and then trying to figure out what to do with it like everyone else. Sounds like a fun time. 

#38874 Video fuzzy around subject edges when camera is moved

Posted by Rontography on 18 May 2016 - 03:42 PM in Beginner Questions

Try it with the VR turned off. 

#38799 What about a music-inspired challenge?

Posted by Rontography on 17 May 2016 - 08:15 AM in Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games

I believe the most amazing images are created from a person's mind whether or not it is a true single image or an image which has been manipulated and includes parts of other images.

I agree. The only time I have a problem with a manipulated image is when someone is trying to say that it's not been altered. 

#38769 I don't believe this is noise, so what is it and how do I get rid of it?

Posted by Rontography on 16 May 2016 - 12:38 PM in Photographic Technique

Most star trail images you see are actually many separate exposures, usually about 30 sec each, stacked on each other using software.

This. There is a lot of good info on the subject, I read a lot about it several years ago. Stacking is the way to do it. 

#38614 International bike to work day

Posted by Rontography on 10 May 2016 - 02:04 PM in Cars and Machinery

Peter, I do apologize for hijacking your topic, but I do greatly appreciate you indulging my curiosity and questions about your bike culture and traffic systems there.  

Me too. It's been very interesting. The pictures are great but it's always entertaining and interesting to see how things are done in other countries. 

#38403 Prom

Posted by Rontography on 05 May 2016 - 02:00 PM in People and Portraits

So I've been out of the photography thing for awhile. Still taking a few photos here and there but nothing that had to please anyone but myself. I took them but I wasn't really trying. Until prom. Life has been crazy and I never seem to be prepared anymore. I was struggling with off camera flash remotes while my wife drove to catch up with the group. Not because they didn't work but because i hadn't actually held them in my hand for a couple of years. Couple that with too many people making decisions and nobody being able to see my vision. I'd taken prom pics before and everybody always goes to the same places. The botanical garden, the fountains, the square. I was bored with that. I drug them through some pretty rough places. I enjoyed it. I did what I could.

DSC_0073-L.jpg

DSC_0141-L.jpg

DSC_0126-L.jpg

DSC_0192-L.jpg

DSC_0196-L.jpg

DSC_0215-L.jpg

DSC_0225-L.jpg

DSC_0403-L.jpg

#38402 Your Best Photo, Week Ending 8 May 2016

Posted by Rontography on 05 May 2016 - 01:07 PM in Mini-Challenges, Member Contests, and Games

Trying to get back in the groove and doing a horrible job of being prepared. Last week it was struggling to resolve off camera flash issues on the way to take prom pictures and now this ballet recital. I again wasn't really prepared. Not equipment wise, not placement wise, I wasn't even prepared for what I saw.

Sophi Brook

Been experimenting with the Nik Collection since I read about it here last week. I've been out of touch.

Ran it through Siver Efex Pro 2 to convert to B&W.
Then into Color Efex Pro 4 to adjust some lighting and add some glow.